DIY Clutch

conaero

Forum Owner
Well I am going to have a go and do a full pictorial how to.

The main issue is the balancing that has been putting me off.

Speaking to several indies and dealers they have all said they have never had to do this since the clutches come balanced. Me thinks its a case of the manufacturers putting off garages from attempting it.

I also spoke at length to a member who assisted the indie mechanic with the change on his own car.

Upon balancing test, the door was extended to fully open and the car taken up to 3-4000 rpm and the oscillating or vibration was observed. A balancing weight was then added to the clutch and the door then vibrated.

I have a scissor lift at home which takes the car up to 1200mm off the ground and I don't need the car as an everyday driver so its a good excuse to have a go coupled with the fact my clutch is on 70%.

I am going to do the lot, flywheel to bearing, so am going to start amassing the parts so if you have any I might be interested in buying them.

I am going OEM with the exception of the bearing for which I am using the Hills Engineering as its better.

Planning to start in the Spring when the spanners arnt so cold.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well if it all goes horrible wrong I will just have to accept defeat and trailer it to Mike.

Parisien

Well...Matt...as ever the devil is in the detail and doing your research........which is in hand.....but having Mike/cavalary on standby is a good option!

P

Parisien

Well Adam...from what I can gather....the up-dated clutch the 4200s/GSs use is lasting much longer than the first types......so if driven correctly.....40K miles easily acheiveable

P

philw696

Fair play Matt there is a video on the US site i have seen shame your not closer i would pop over. Happy to come down on a weekend with my spanners if you like when you start.

conaero

Forum Owner
Cheers Phil might make that call if I get stuck.

The clutch will be OEM and not Kevlar as from what I have heard there have been issues with them.

As for Sd2/3 yes that is required to set the PIS but I have use of one from Mike. TBH I might get him round and show me how it's done and video it.

2b1ask1

Special case
TBH Matt, you have pre-empted my attempt at this... I intend to contact a couple of the indies near me to see what is practical... As it is just the balancing and PIS that require SD2/3, surely this is just a laptop configured to run diagnostically and if so it is surely portable? If so I'm happy to schedule the works in the garage opposite me that does my MOT's, hire one of his 4 posters for a day or so, schedule a visit with said laptop from the indie for the afternoon when it is all stripped down and ready to go... Easy as no?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Putting it simply Newton, that's about right. However, the balancing can be done manually by feeling the vibration through the car when taken through the rev range and moving weights around the clutch cover until the vibration disappears. There is a machine that can balance them but, it isn't really necessary as I have been told by a couple of well placed sources that clutches are generally in good balance from the factory. A clutch change is DIY doable but fiddly. If you do take it on, make sure you have an advice source on the end of a phone!

2b1ask1

Special case
I've changed several clutches and rebuilt engines and gearboxes in the past so I'm not daunted by the task, I think there is a tremendous amount of bluster from MD's and indies for that matter, blowing it up to be an impossible DIY job. True however I've never tackled one that was electronic before...

conaero

Forum Owner
I've changed several clutches and rebuilt engines and gearboxes in the past so I'm not daunted by the task, I think there is a tremendous amount of bluster from MD's and indies for that matter, blowing it up to be an impossible DIY job. True however I've never tackled one that was electronic before...

That's how I see it Newton. I will play with the balancing then if I am not happy will have it trailered or get my local indie in to do it onsite but from what I have learned from a main dealer, one of the biggest, they have never had need to balance the clutches, well, not in the past few years anyway.

I think there were issue initially, hence the need to balance them, but there is no need now.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate

It's quite an involved process Newton. Back bumper off, exhausts off, boot lining out, boot floor out, move gearbox back, remove torque tube (very heavy), disconnect hydraulics and electrics, undo bell housing, remove clutch and flywheel, refit clutch and bell housing, jury rig the electrics, start up, check clutch balance and when ok reassemble. Boot floor bolts may break due to rust. Like I said, have advice on standby and have fun!!

Parisien

Yes...its labour intensive....hence hoping only to have it done every 4/5/6 yrs.......but then that few minutes of either experience or high tech gear make it doable

P

MAF260

I'm very hands on and have built/rebuilt many cars in my time, but I'm not sure if I'd tackle this myself - when you look at the breakdown Ian gives it's easy to see why it costs a few quid to have done. There's also the peace of mind that if there are any problems you can take it back and have it looked at or re-done.

conaero

Forum Owner
I'm very hands on and have built/rebuilt many cars in my time, but I'm not sure if I'd tackle this myself - when you look at the breakdown Ian gives it's easy to see why it costs a few quid to have done. There's also the peace of mind that if there are any problems you can take it back and have it looked at or re-done.

Nah, its just nuts and bolts. The biggest thing is if you can gain access and have a way of dropping the torque tube without killing yourself. I have a scissor lift and a gearbox jack so am happy I can do it.

Its not about the money, its about doing the job that nobody will touch to prove it can be done. I am spending about a grand on the parts and its a 10hrs job for an indie so what, £700-800. Hey, I might get my fingers burnt and end up having to admit defeat and get the thing trailered and finished off, but I cant see it, especially as Marios has just emailed me and has offered to act as mentor. I might have to go kidnap him in the dead of night maybe!

SimonM

fair play Matt, good luck with it.... I can't imagine I'd ever get close to attempting that job...