High pitch noise on start up...

X1ons

Well, this is post number one after making the long switch over from the other site!

This last week when I start the car there is a high pitch noise. It's only when the car is cold and it's freezing outside. It lasts a minute or so then goes. Any ideas?

I also rather embarrassingly managed to stall the car infront of a watching window of people yesterday! No idea how, I was reversing giving it the normal revs but off it went. Not great!

Cheers

Mark

urbanmaser

If it happens when starting from standstill under acceleration sounds like what I just suffered with spigot bearing, but then hey what do I know?

Parisien

X1ons..............welcome................do have fun in the newest, hippest Maserati forum, it's filling up fast!

P

X1ons

Thanks P, looks good. Why we all shifting to this site then? Not that I'm complaining seeing as the leaders in their field are over here!

Loz - it's a 4200 manual. You should remember me as I was the one about a year ago that needed a new clutch and you all helped me.

Looking forward to contributing!

M

Parisien

X1ons, just a little bit of history towards the birth of this board and as you've dually noted, lots of respected, experienced Maseratisti are already on board.

P

PS Loz will remember you of course and the intimate details of your car.....:)

conaero

Forum Owner
X1ons as promised here is what is happening with your car. I had the same advisory from Mike Roberts upon my car (GS) returning from him from its annual service.

It is the auxillary belt idler. It will make a squeeking noise at start up then disappear. I have been told by Mike just to keep an eye on it. Some might advise you to spray it with WD40, and that is something you should never do with a drive belt, it could cause it to fly off.

The best thing to use is water. The wetness will stop the squeak momentarily until it dries out without any permanent problems. You will then be able to work out what is squeaking.

As for the auxillary belt idler is either 4 or 7, I think?

104_051.gif

buster67

Hi Mark,

Following on from Conaero's message and the diagram above, I have just replaced parts 7, 4 & 3 plus associated pins / screws etc. This was all on the recommendation of my garage because I too had a loud high pitched (embarrassing) squeal on startup. The parts came from Eurospares, fitted last week and car picked up yesterday - job done - no more noise! Despite being in Dubai, it has been cold(er) than normal here and that did seem to be the contributing factor.

Good luck!