Warning. Risk of complete brake failure and fire.

Emtee

I don't wish to be overly dramatic here, but my car, which was thankfully with Shiltech at the time, has had a complete brake failure and only dodged being set alight by the skin of it's teeth.

There is a brake pipe that runs from the brake pump across the back of the engine bay to the hydraulic unit. This pipe is steel apart from a section about 4 inches in length which is steel braided flexible pipe. Although correctly retained in all its clips, this braided section was in contact with the cylinder head cover and had been rubbing against it to the point where the braiding had worn through. The flexible tubing inside (which isn't designed to have any strength in itself) was then free to balloon under braking pressure.

As Shiltech had been working on my brakes they took the car for a test drive during which they stamped on the brakes to make sure there was correct braking; more than I have done under 'normal' driving conditions, but a necessary check to make sure it would be okay under emergency conditions. The flexible tube burst and all braking was lost, instantaneously. It also dumped all the brake fluid right down the back of the engine and on to the exhaust, which was thankfully not hot as the car had just left the garage, but if it had been....brake fluid is VERY flammable!

Geoff has a picture of the pipe section, which he's going to email over to me, but he asked that I post this to warn you all also.

If this is a one-off, then that's a relief, but please do yourself a favour, remove the plastic trim at the back of the engine bay and check yours. It'll take no more than 20 minutes to check.

Miles.

2b1ask1

Special case
Emtee,

It couldn't have happened at a more opportune moment, so lucky too. Thank you for the heads up on this, can I suggest it is 'stickied' for all to see.

2B1

Parisien

Gee....am shocked........has this never happened before, reports of same.......safety issue?

I must read it again....and get a handle on it....thanks again Miles!!

Conaero ....please put on sticky thread....safety issue!!!

P

Emtee

I will get shiltech to check mine after xmas when they service the car.

Hi Andrew, Geoff said he will now check this as a matter of course with any Maser that he works on, but definitely mention it to him. Cheers, Miles.

rs48635

Assume this was on the 4200?

Anyone know is 3200 is similar. Going to check mine anyway and will report and add picture if useful :sad:

Emtee

Assume this was on the 4200?

Anyone know is 3200 is similar. Going to check mine anyway and will report and add picture if useful :sad:

Hi RS, mine is MY'04 4200CC.

Hopefully with the different engine, the 3200 will be okay, but has to be worth a quick check.

rs48635

Busy day yesterdat so forgot :gulp:
Seem to recall having this chat with Roberto Grimaldi last year, who re-assured me.
Checking my car tonight and calling him tomorrow if I am not sure.

Tiburon44

Hello, the brake line checked out, my 4200 has the same flexible bit to the line, but was secured, and no sign of wear and tear. If that were all I needed to worry abou, looks like I'll be heading up to Shiltech again, but it was great working with Geoff, thanks for the recommendation. Emtee, I saw your baby, and gave a few words of encouragment to her...........BTW the rims look great, much etter to see them in person.

Parisien

Good news Tiburon.......must get my mechanic to throw an eye over it next week.

What needs doing though.......?

P

Tiburon44

Well the source of all my electrical woes was finally identified as a leaking hater pump, seems to be leaking onto my ECU, so both of hose need replacing, a power steering pump needes to be replaced, and the brake pipes are corroded, so going to get those replaced as well...............Besides getting the heater pump replaced, or hopefuly fixed, it's not too bad. Finally glad to get the electrics sorted out.............

Parisien

Thats a bummer Tiburon...............one simple problem leading to a host of others......all interconnected ultimately?.................many miles on the car/year? .........can you source any 2nd hand parts......?

P

Tiburon44

Thanks, it has been one thing after another, but hopefully this will bring it all up to speed..............I have an 04 4200 GT, just broke the 57,000 mile mark............We looked at Eurospares, but nothing on the shelves there, so taking a look around the web for some parts.............

Emtee

Hi Tiburon, Glad you managed to get the brake pipe checked and that it proved okay, but sorry to hear you have other issues. Hopefully not too expensive to sort? I take it the ECU is okay? Good to hear Shiltech are looking after you. As for mine.. hopefully tomorrow! It seems like soo loong! Can't wait to get her back. Regards, Miles.