Got a Power Steering Leak

midlifecrisis

Started up the beastie to go to work the other morning, and a horrendous noise was heard when i sharply turned right. Luckily I've got a handy ramp at work at my disposal, with a very handy mechanic who knows his trade very well. We quickly found that the lowest pipe joint on the steering box to be the culprit as shown in the photos.
Now problem is that Eurospares don't seem to have the right pipe listed on their microfiche site. It's sheet 41 of the Mechanical type. The pipe as you can tell from my photos, runs along the steering rack from the steering box. Does any one have any ideas?

Could I get a generic pipe made up and if so wjhat size is it? Or can someone tell me the proper part number?

Attachments

• IMAG1699a.jpg
    IMAG1699a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG1702a.jpg
    IMAG1702a.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG1704.jpg
    IMAG1704.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 112

conaero

Forum Owner
I'd get it made up, but I am wondering if a used part might suffice.

Try David Askew on the sponsors tab above. I think it's all about how it's removed from the donor car.

stradaman

Any hydraulic company, will be able to make a pipe up for you. But like Matt says, a good second hand one will do the job.

Andy.

Emtee

The pipe you're after is shown on page 42 MLC. Not too expensive, though you may have a wait as it looks like it's an order item rather than available from stock. Might be worth a call to check though?

midlifecrisis

Miles,
I made a mistake earlier, I should have said page 42 not 41. However I still can't work out which part it is.

Emtee

Hi MLC, If it's coming from the steering box it must be part 6 or 7 no? If you can track it to either the servo pump or the exchanger it'll show which it is.

midlifecrisis

Hi MLC, If it's coming from the steering box it must be part 6 or 7 no? If you can track it to either the servo pump or the exchanger it'll show which it is.

It neither of them, there's four pipes from the steering box, and this leaky one is the lowest one which runs along the rack and into the rack at the other end.
On the eurospares diagram it is partially hidden by the steering rack and is not listed on the parts list.
I'm going to take it into work and look at it again to assess if that is definitely the leaky joint.

2b1ask1

Special case
Good luck with sorting a fix quickly for this Martin, I have a gaiter full of steering fluid on mine at the moment so I'll be nnding to do a refurb of the rack very soon... :(

davy83

looks quite corroded? i am wondering if its in the area of the heat shield cover? is your cover missing? i would also recommend David Askew he can source all sorts, including new parts.

Rick1008

Power steering leak

Hi everyone, I have the dreaded power steering leak problem! I have only inspected the pipes from above and can see the following:

IMG_20180222_222657.jpg
IMG_20180222_222811.jpg
IMG_20180222_222911.jpg
IMG_20180222_223039.jpg

I cant seem to identify the correct part numbers from the eurospares website. Also, is it possible the leak could be from some other pipes underneath the car? Im pretty sure its the ones in the photos that are of concern. Look forward to all your feedback.

Cheers

Scaf

When mine leaked it needed a complete new steering rack !
Thank the Lord for a decent warranty.
Hope you get sorted and it’s not too painful

FIFTY

Yeah the power steering pipes are a bit of a nightmare on these cars, I can see my cars history that previous owners have tried to sort it... I have finally got it down to one threaded union that's slowly seeping oil right at the front, I need to take of the throttle body etc. and secondary air system to get to it... I had the main feed pipe from the steering box removed and refitted as it was p!ssing oil all over my garage floor

alfatwo

First you need to clean everything off to find were the leak's coming from.. a good hit with an aerosol brake cleaner usually does the trick

Generally leaks go down hill so check above, it might be as simple as the PAS reservoir pipe leaking

Dave

Rick1008

Fernando, the pipes in my photos only seem to leaking a little. Power steering fluid was topped up only last week and by today it was empty. I think it must be 'pissing' out the steering box like yours. If it is, is it possible to remove and re-fit that pipe?

FIFTY

There are lots of threaded unions all over the place including on the steering box, as Dave says be meticulous with close attention to detail as you go along

Also check the power steering radiator, look in through the front grille with a torch and it's laid over the top of the engine radiator, it tends to go on one side I cant remember which though