Quattroporte Suspension Upgrade

BJL

Some time ago I spoke with Matthew at Giallo enquiring whether the QP GTS Bilstein setup could be retro fitted to my 07 Sport GT with Skyhook.

After much research on his part he concluded that it could be done and the cost would be approx £1800 including revised geometry setup and the magic work of the Sonic Screwdriver etc.

I had asked Meridien sometime earlier if this could be done but got the impression they would rather not but during the enquiry from Giallo about parts required Meridien became aware of my negotiations with Matthew and felt somewhat hurt that I should consider going elsewhere. They did confirm that Giallo sources parts from them on a regular basis and that they hold them in high esteem as an independant but even so as they have looked after my cars for a decade or so they would prefer it if I let them do the work.

Obviously I did not wish to offend Meridien who have always offered first class service and will be providing the new Cali when it comes out so I spoke with Matthew and explained the situation. he was most understanding and made it very clear he had no wish to upset the good relationship I had with Meridien so the job was done last week.

What a transformation. Gone is the body roll, the car feels so much more planted as if running on rails. It feels as if hewn from solid with no jitters groans or creeks. I've set the tyre pressure at 2 bar alround which gives plenty of initial compliance but as in the GTS a very taught ride.

The price from Meridien was to be £2,200 all in but unfortunately one of the hub bolts would not free and stripped the thread, which I understand can be an issue after a few years, which added another £1,000 to the bill but even at that amount it has transformed the car and made it feel brand new again. Win Win with the best gearbox and the best setup.

Meridien did say that the stripped thread could be helicoiled at no cost but Maserati would not approve them doing it which is understandable. This is of course where an indi would benefit by not being bound by the retraints from above.

All in all my thanks to Matthew for confirming it could be done and being so magnanamous and to Meridien for an exellent job.

bigbob

I was always told that you could remove skyhook shocks from cars and retro-fit the standard shocks. The sport button then just controls the msp and gearbox.

Personally I wish that the skyhook on my car had a middle setting between normal and sport. Normal is fine in regular traffic and is ok in slightly push on driving if you flick the gearbox over to manual control (something you can do in GranTurismos/QP5s with the 4.7 engine but not the 4.2) but anymore more than that requires sport to be pressed but this can be too harsh on some roads. The middle settting is meant to be roughly what GranTurismos' without skyhook ride on. Trouble is you can't firm it up more which is a shame. I know that you can get the MC Line fixed rate set up which is firmer but I think that that would be too harsh for day to day use. Nothing is perfect!

Parisien

Nice overview BJL...thanks for that......let us know how you think its going over time....

P

BJL

DSCN1575.jpgUpdate and a few pics of the QP after full detailing with Clay bar and Auto glym showing lower stance on new Bilstein set up. Feels a totally different car, so planted but not harsh at all. Ride feels somewhere between sport and normal but with no float or hesitation over lumps and bumps. Infact jumping out of a 4.7 QP GTS and into mine the differnce is;

Ride generally is identical
Gear changes in sport mode in my duoselect feel much crisper with no smudge, down changes feel more connected.
0 -60 time is identical at 5.0 secs
Balance and turn in is, to my mind, better in mine with the transaxle box rather than the auto.
Mid range torque is better in the 4.7 as you would expect but not too noticable above 80 mph where gear selection in the duoselect can achieve similar times.
Generally very pleased with the outcome as it has improved what was already pretty good.
DSCN1583.jpg

Ewan

Discovered from Meridien Modena that this upgrade can't be done to my car. Mine is a standard 06 model duo-select, and apparently, unlike your 07 Sport GT, the change would involve a new subframe and all sorts - so not really viable. Which is a shame.

bergxu

Hi Gents from the USA, this is my first post and sorry to be resurrecting an old thread but I have an '07 QP Sport GT automatica which has about 104K miles on it and I was thrilled to see this thread as I've been contemplating dumping my Skyhook shocks for the fixed rate Bilstein GTS dampers and am glad to see they'll fit my car as I was initially unsure. Anyhow, I'm wondering what you did (if anything) to stop any suspension warning message from coming on once the Skyhook shocks were binned.

Thanks and cheers!
Aaron

Andyk

Sounds like a great upgrade. There is a reason why all the write ups on the QP said the Sport GTS had the best set up. Enjoy.

Ewan

To get this set up on my 2006 QP required a more radical solution - the selling of that car and the purchase of a proper 2008 QP GTS. So that's what I did.

If your local Maserati mechanic confirms that your particular car is one that an be converted, definitely do it. It transforms the car.

bergxu

I've had the car looked at and it appears to have the same control arms as the later GTS car so I reckon we are good. My primary concern is what to do about the Skyhook ECU...just unplug it or leave it be or is there a pigtail available to bypass it?