F1 Pump removal and fitting instructions; With pics.

CatmanV2

Just spent the day changing the pump. All seems to be working well. It please be aware that this job is not as easy as it looks. The hardest part was getting the old pump off and dealing with the nuts that hold the heat shield on as these shear very easily. I also had the benefit of a full workshop ramp. If anyone needs any help with this please get in touch. My email is steve@frontfive.co.uk

Well done!

Now you need to find out *why* the pump failed, chap.

C

Boomer00

After speaking to the guy who usually looks after my car it looks like it is just a crappy part that has to work very hard. It's just an Alfa selespeed part.
It so happens that there was a guy in the workshop who is a retired Ferrari and Maserati mechanic. Apparently the 3200 body shell was never meant to take the auto box that the 4200 has which is why everything around that part of the car is such an ****.
What he did say was that 4200 engine out of the Ferrari is superb and pretty much bulletproof, it's all the rest of bits that go on ot

CatmanV2

Hmm, that's a somewhat shortsighted view.

Anyway. Your pump. If it failed, it's *probably* because it's been running too long. Either this is because the relay was going bad, or you have excess leakage somewhere in the system. It's not a 'crappy Alfa part' it's a Magnetti Marelli pump that's fitted to the Alfa selespeed box, as well as the Maserati CC box and the F430 (if memory serves) from Ferrari......
If you don't get to the root cause, assuming there is one, it will wear out again....

Oh, and the 4200 engine isn't 'out of the Ferrari' It is superb, though.

C

tntdj123

Awesome Garage. Sorry to bother you but I have a 2006 Maserati Quattroporte Duoselect. I am in the process of seeing if its the relay or the pump. Shut off and wouldn't start the other day but after battery reset and messing with fuses, I got the priming sound again when I opened the door. Where is the Relay in my trunl? I see 2 of the black 4 prong 50 amp blocks together .

Saba

f1pump and relay

Awesome Garage. Sorry to bother you but I have a 2006 Maserati Quattroporte Duoselect. I am in the process of seeing if its the relay or the pump. Shut off and wouldn't start the other day but after battery reset and messing with fuses, I got the priming sound again when I opened the door. Where is the Relay in my trunl? I see 2 of the black 4 prong 50 amp blocks together .

I also have a 2006 quattroporte gts, having the transmission failure light and gear unavailable. At first the light would come on and not go into gear. after shutting it off and trying again it would all clear and drive for a little bit and do the same thing again. Now it would not turn on at all. I changed both relays that are together in trunk by the battery and no change, still will not turn on. Should i try the pump? any recommendations on what to do. I am worried about getting air in the system????"?

Nahayiah

Just a minor question, the transmission fluid is the gearbox oil 75w90 or something else ? Thanks in advance for your feedback

Zep

Standard fill is Agip Rotra LSX. It is a 75w90 oil to GL5. There are a few threads on changing the oil and how to remove the filter, one way or another.

Nahayiah

So at the step just after fitting the new alfa pump, we just top up the 75w90 oil (Tutela Cs Speed Automatic Transmission Oil ) ? Maybe it's a good idea to do a gearbox oil change at this step but it's a different topic for me

Zep

The CC fluid is Agip CHF.

Attachments

• B114D206-A07C-43C0-85D8-112006228A43.jpeg
    B114D206-A07C-43C0-85D8-112006228A43.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 12

Zep

Good luck, plenty of folk have done it without issues so I am sure you will be fine.

Nahayiah

Actually, I just purchased a Coupe 2005 very cheap one due to this issue, the rest of the car is in pretty good shapes (just need cleaning and some refurbishing activities), so if I fix this issue for less than 300 euros, I will be really happy:tomato7:

Reactions: Zep

Zep

Actually, I just purchased a Coupe 2005 very cheap one due to this issue, the rest of the car is in pretty good shapes (just need cleaning and some refurbishing activities), so if I fix this issue for less than 300 euros, I will be really happy:tomato7:

Good work, but like any good Maserati, she probably has a few surprises in store for you! :)

Zep

Same oil for a GT F1 box? My MD scr3wed me over good and proper for a F1 fluid change last year. I can't even tell you how much they billed for oil alone...

No, for a GT it’s Shell Donax TX. Replaced by Shell Spirax S4 HDX.

azapa

Zep I googled that and it seems to be Transmission Oil, the smelly stuff. I'm talking about the oil that runs in the F1 system.

I dug out the MD bill: Tutela CS Speed - 4 litres and 30 quid each :(

Just for sh1t and giggles: F1 fluid change + Engine oil change, at todays exchange rate: 716 quid

Zep

Zep I googled that and it seems to be Transmission Oil, the smelly stuff. I'm talking about the oil that runs in the F1 system.

I dug out the MD bill: Tutela CS Speed - 4 litres and 30 quid each :(

Just for sh1t and giggles: F1 fluid change + Engine oil change, at todays exchange rate: 716 quid

CS speed is right for 4200, this stuff is the replacement for the Donax TX. And yes, it’s for the F1 system. It’s ATF, don’t put it in your gearbox.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5