F1 Pump removal and fitting instructions; With pics.

Predator

(Finished) F1 Pump removal and fitting instructions; With pics.

Hi All,

Thanks to Loz and his insructions, I have recently fitted a new and much needed F1 pump. I have done over 500 miles now and all is well. It took about 6hrs but that was with me taking it easy and having the TV on (I'm easily distracted).

I obtained the pump and relay at a very good price from these guys: www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/156_Selespeed_pump.shtml
Alfa relay part number 11130287
Alfa Selespeed F1 pump Part no 51736315

Cost of new pump at the time: £272.
New regulator: £8
Bottle of Tutela Cs Speed Automatic Transmission Oil: £10

Total cost = £290 inc VAT

First off, you'll need to work under the car and also in the boot. Make sure you're able to jack the car up safely. If you're trying to use a basic jack and supports (I did) I suggest you do not have a large meal shortly before, as there is not much room to work! :)

Have all the tools you need ready and waiting. This is nothing more than a selection of spanners and sockets, with a can of WD40 for those stubborn buggers.
045.jpg

Switch off the battery power, using the black switch located in the battery compartment.

Remove all the boot lining by gently pulling it out. Unscrew the black plastic panel. Remove the small black circular plug, located in the spare wheel well.
054.JPG

Remove the 10 screws and the 6 nuts.
CIMG1021.JPG

Remove the 2 bolts from the plastic panel.
035.JPG

Remove the bolt from the aluminium tray.
036.JPG

Remove these two bolts that are located under the car and peel the tray back. It's not pretty, but it will mould back in to place again.
037.JPG

On the right hand side, you can see the F1 Pump power cable. Disconnect the cable plug. On the right hand side of the metal clamp, cut the cable in half.
042.JPG

Remove exhaust bracing bracket for more working room ony 4 12mm bolts.
024.JPG

This is the F1 Pump and it's transmission fluid reservoir. They are located under the rear of the car, on the passenger side (for a right hand drive vehicle).
CIMG1013.JPG

Undo the cable retaining clip bolt, on the right hand side of the resevoir.
028.JPG

Remove the 2 hydraulic feed pipes from the bottom of the pump. I found there was a fair bit of slow spillage from the large pipe, so I used a small plastic bag and cable tie, to stop it. You could also use the finger from a rubber glove.
039.jpg

Remove the 3 10mm nuts that hold the resevoir to the pump. The 3rd is easier to get to, from the boot. The triangle bracket and reservoir clamp, should now come off. This should give you more room to work on the 3 10mm long nuts and to be able to remove the pump.
022.JPG

CIMG1032 (2).JPG

Remove the 3 10mm long nuts that hold the pump to the gearbox. The 3rd is also easier to get to from the boot.
029.JPG

026.JPG

Romove the F1 Pump.

Can you tell which is the new pump? ;)
001.jpg

I suggest you wedge the new F1 Pump in place quickly and reconnect the cable plug. You don't want to put everything back together and then realise you forgot to do that! :angry: :banghead1:

Once the new F1 Pump is in place and you're finished under the car, you can top the transmission fluid back up. Make sure you drop the car back down first, so it's on a level surface.

Unscrew the reservoir cap.
CIMG1032.JPG

I used a 1 litre bottle of Tutela Cs Speed Automatic Transmission Oil. This was more than enough.

Because the reservoir cap does not have much head room to be able to top it up easily, I used the flexi pipe from a petrol can and attached it to the bottle. It was a perfect fit. A funnel with a tube on the end, could also be used..... I just didn't have one! :roll_eyes: If you leave your finger in the reservoir whilst filling it up, you'll be able to stop just before the top. That should stop you spilling any fluid.
003.jpg

It's a good idea to replace the old relay. It's located in the battery compartment, above the battery.
002.JPG

Now reassemble the boot, including everything from under the car.

Switch the power back on and make sure the alarm is switched off!

Open the drivers door (you should hear the pump working). Look under the car and check for spills (so make sure it's clean, before opening the drivers door).

Start the engine and check for spills.

Your red gearbox light will be on, but don't panic! Switch the engine off.

Do a battery reset (switch the power off for 10 seconds and then back on again)

Start the engine again and check the red gearbox light is out. If so, engage first, neutral, reverse and neutral again. If all is well, your car is ready to go again :proud:

Last edited:

Emtee

Wow, your garage looks like my dining room, well apart from the fact you have 2 Maseratis in there! Looking forward to part 2.

urbanmaser

Predator 10 out of 10 for having a go.........I am not sure I would be brave enough to try this myself........let us know if all is well at the end and how long the whole exercise took

OzzieAl

Well done fantastic pics really. I will be trying this myself no doubt. I hope to do 90% of the cars maintenance myself can't wait to see your other pics, they are so clear its easy to see what your talking about. Thanks for making the effort.

Andyk

Good one Predator.....I wouldn't know where to start....I'm a garages perfect customer....

JAGPURR

Well done Pretator, Keep it comming.
Just one question how did you convince your partner to let you do it in the dining room?
Keith

Predator

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay but I got called away to Bangladesh on Thursday night!

It was actually quite fun and it felt good after I had finished and all was working! I think it might have taken me longer to post the instructions and pics, lol :as001 (2):

It was lovely working in the warm and dry, but you should have seen the parking ticket my missus gave me! :broke:

John

JAGPURR

How about moving this post to the technical fixes section ? Keep our "better that" haynes manual together.

Emtee

Predator, that's a brilliant 'how to'. Couldn't ask for it to be any clearer.

urbanmaser

How about moving this post to the technical fixes section ? Keep our "better that" haynes manual together.

Jagpur remind me tomorrow when Matt is back and I will get him to move this to technical or ask yourself. You are 100% right. A quality thread like this need to be referred to in the future..............Well done Predator and thank you for all the hard work in sharing this with us.

Parisien

B*L*O*O*D*Y superb...........you've done us remotely based guys a huge favour Predator.......Loz's brains......your tools and effort......brilliant collaboration!

P

urbanmaser

Dogleg this thread should be copied to Technical........it is brilliant and deserves a key position for future reference

conaero

Forum Owner
Yep, moved.

Brilliant write up, never thought the car will fit through the French doors, but I am going to have a look tonight to see if I can!!!!

lozcb

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay but I got called away to Bangladesh on Thursday night!

It was actually quite fun and it felt good after I had finished and all was working! I think it might have taken me longer to post the instructions and pics, lol :as001 (2):

It was lovely working in the warm and dry, but you should have seen the parking ticket my missus gave me! :broke:

John

Well chuffed for you John , Kudos to you mate, im sure now others will not be so afraid to tackle stuff like this , and saving them a good few quid in the process , anychance you could price up what you paid in Total , its only then that others will be convinced how much of a saving this kind of thing is

Brill mate just Brill

regards loz

Predator

Thanks everyone, the positive feedback is well appreciated. :)

Loz, I've included the total cost now, mate.

Predator

JAGPURR

New F1 Pump bought and fitted for under £300 sounds brilliant! Has anybody got the dealers price for this?? Just so we can gloat !!!

Parisien

New F1 Pump bought and fitted for under £300 sounds brilliant! Has anybody got the dealers price for this?? Just so we can gloat !!!

Sure the price is very important for lots of us.....but it takes the mystic out of the whole thing, hands the initiative back to the enthusiast!!!

RESULT!

P

AD Royalty

:clapps: .. well done

thats a true reference ..

i think every Maserati owner should read this post ..

but the new pump is for alfa .. is that alright ??

clean work .. and your garage is pro :whistle: ..