so an early GTS..

is still not as quick on paper as a gransport?? just been comparing the 2 and it seems that maserati only picked up where they left off performance wise with the new gts.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Nor, as far as I can tell, in real life. Or that could just be my driving. The GS, being lighter and smaller, seems more nimble and as far as I can tell there isn't much between them performance wise.

Better-informed minds will doubtless be along soon to provide some facts to counter or support my vague ponderings.

conaero

Forum Owner
Erm, I took my GTS round Llandow and no GS got near me, I remember being surprised at the time.

For a big car they handle better than the GS. The GS does not handle that well on the track (maybe my Falken 452 tyres) and was horrified at the understeer into sharp corners.

Where the GTS does struggle is braking.

Dont get me wrong, I still plan to get another GS, fab car, just not a track car.

MAF260

Performance is very similar. I believe the GS just about has it on paper, but a real comparison with different driving capabilities may prove otherwise. Figures are:

Gransport
400bhp
451nm
1680kg

GTS
433bhp
490nm
1880kg

So, the GTS is 12% heavier and has 8% more power and torque. Technically a worse power to weight ratio, but has a better gear change mechanism and probably different gearing - 0-60 and top speed on paper are both better than the GS.

MAF260

Erm, I took my GTS round Llandow and no GS got near me, I remember being surprised at the time.

For a big car they handle better than the GS. The GS does not handle that well on the track (maybe my Falken 452 tyres) and was horrified at the understeer into sharp corners.

Where the GTS does struggle is braking.

Dont get me wrong, I still plan to get another GS, fab car, just not a track car.
A very interesting real world comparison, Matt. Llandow is small and twisty, so would certainly show up any handling deficiencies. There may be less of a difference around Goodwood or Bruntingthorpe with less twisty bits and some nice long curves and straights.

one thing i find bizarre tho is the standard GT lacks alot in performance comapared to the GS and even the 4200. i understand with run of the mill marques like ford vw ect, they intoroduce a base model then build up to the balls out one. but on relatively low production pedigrees eg ferrari, maserati, aston, its usualy a given that the next model is going to be faster than the last.

Andyk

The GTS's I've driven have always felt a quicker car agaist a GS...Buut you need a back to back to really see....

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
So we're clear... are we talking GT as in 4.2 or GTS as in 4.7? I would imagine there's not much in it for a GS and a GTS but the GS probably has the edge on a 4.2.

conaero

Forum Owner
GTS 4.7 vs GS is what I am talking about.

The issue with the 4.2 GT is not solely its weight, the auto box zaps a lot of the power.