Alfa to Maserati

conaero

Forum Owner
I haven't had any delivery update yet, the provisional date given was Dec15th (with a 150 day leeway clause), but Alfa are running late. I received a letter about 3 weeks ago to say as much, with the promise of a new date to follow soon.

A new model is always a tricky thing. It's always better to hang on and see the bugs ironed out, but the 4C concept grabbed me (by the sensibilities :capricorn:) when it first appeared and I knew I wanted one if it was to become reality. I went to Geneva back in March to see it when it was officially launched.

Lucky boy, just make sure you bring it to Llandow next year!

CPE

Lucky boy, just make sure you bring it to Llandow next year!

Fingers crossed I get it in time for the next Llandow, I think I would do.

It's a loooong way from Scotland, so i would either make it part of a trip to elsewhere too or trailer it down. It would have to be a mighty wide trailer though to fit it on, so thinking that prob wouldn't happen.

lisknik

Fingers crossed I get it in time for the next Llandow, I think I would do.

It's a loooong way from Scotland, so i would either make it part of a trip to elsewhere too or trailer it down. It would have to be a mighty wide trailer though to fit it on, so thinking that prob wouldn't happen.

Well if you want someone to help you drive it down.............;)

zagatoes30

Well I moved from Alfa to Maserati, well dependent on your definition of moved. The last two cars I have bought have both been Maseratis but there are 3 Alfas still on the fleet :)

Always wanted one and like Alfas once you have had one you want another.

The QP IV was a cheap car and has absolutely stonking performance. A 4 door saloon with a twin turbo 3.2 V8 and no traction control other than the loud pedal. Mid range acceleration is awesome. However it is full of Fiat parts, 164 indicators, and switch gear and it really has a feel of budget fit. It does handle well for a big car and it's performance is down to it's lack of weight less than my 155.

The 4200 Spyder is a different beast completely. It doesn't feel as quick but it is no slouch. It is however a lot better built, lovely feel to the interior and everything appears to be well screwed together. The noise it makes is something else, the flappy paddle (CC) gearbox is much better than I was expecting and like Matt I can't think why you would go for the manual. The scuttle does shake but not as much as I was expecting although it is real good indicator of how rough the road is.

conaero

Forum Owner
Regretting selling that Soyder to you it is a cracking little car.

The Spyder will be faster than the QP no doubt, it's the turbos that make the QP feel quicker but I bet the Spyder would beat the QP to 60 by a good second. I had a 3200 which is the same shell basically as the Spyder plus the 3200 is lighter than the QP I recon.

Supercharged16v

This might be interesting....

I'm grilling my boss to get rid of that stupid Merkel Wagon (mercedes S class) and get a proper car for once in his life !

He suggested we come to UK together for a week, and find a car for him to buy.

I'm guiding him towards a Maser GT ;)
He loves the idea already, but he is concerned about the build quality, because he is deeply disappointed with the build quality of the Mercedes.

conaero

Forum Owner
When you say Maser GT, do you mean 4200 GT or GranTurismo.

Both are really good to be honest, just clutches on the 4200.

AlfaGrale

This might be interesting....

I'm grilling my boss to get rid of that stupid Merkel Wagon (mercedes S class) and get a proper car for once in his life !

He suggested we come to UK together for a week, and find a car for him to buy.

I'm guiding him towards a Maser GT ;)
He loves the idea already, but he is concerned about the build quality, because he is deeply disappointed with the build quality of the Mercedes.

Can.... I... come with you? :as002:

Alfamut

Did think a few years back about going for a 3200 auto but got scared off. Do you lot recon the 4200 is the better car then?

Gransport is nice but out of my price bracket at the mo.

zagatoes30

I spent years lusting after a 3200, even went to see a few but the evidence of costly to run kept putting me off. I bought the QP as it was a cheap (initially) way of getting to understand the 3200 engine (it is almost the same). The experience promoted me to buy a 4200.

The V8 Twin Turbo engine is stinkingly powerful, it lights up when the turbos come online and it makes some wonderful sounds, inlet, turbos and exhaust but and it's a big but - it just feels fragile, I have had no issues with the engine but I have the constant feeling that one day it is just going to throw it toys (and probably every other moving part) out of the pram. It has quite a few intermittent electrical gremlins even more than Mrs Z Rangie it just feels put together on a bad day by a drunken blind man.

Hence the 4200, I got a Spyder as I missed my old 916 and haven't looked back. It feels so much better, the engine and drivetrain feel solid, the panel gaps and interior fit are good and the materials used have that feel of luxury. It is quick but is also happy to poodle about in, it is a comfortable place to be even with the roof down at this time of year. The scuttle shakes but most convertibles do and the exhaust is not for those shy types but I love it.

I was once told you buy a 3200 with your heart but you buy a 4200 with your head, I think this is the best way of describing them.

conaero

Forum Owner
3200, yes, I think bitter sweet is how you describe them.

Fanatically savage and stunning car, but will rob you of every penny you have, well it did me. Had it 2 years, clutch £1k, front brakes, £500, Exhaust £1k, crank rebuild at 36k miles £4k....and it kept going like that!

alfatwo

Things have moved on since then...late 3200's are now a great buy and parts are easily obtainable at a reasonable price..

If your thinking of moving over from Alfa, nows the time,the price of good ones are going up!

Dave

vantastic

Not sure why anyone would move from alfa to massa, if you want to go from cheap to mad money then OK, I have loads of fun for much cheapness with my fleet. that said I do like some mad stuff.

alfatwo

Van, youre into another world with maser's mate, for a start there brutally quick..170+ then theres the respect you get ,even BMW owners let you out at junctions..

I've been a Alfista since the 70's..if you get any spare cash just go for it!

Dave

vantastic

Van, youre into another world with maser's mate, for a start there brutally quick..170+ then theres the respect you get ,even BMW owners let you out at junctions..

I've been a Alfista since the 70's..if you get any spare cash just go for it!

Dave

I sort of get what your saying, but I get the same with my 75, get people pull up next to me at the lights saying cool and thumbs up

conaero

Forum Owner
Give it a go Van, if you buy right you wont loose much money if any if its a brief encounter.

They do take time to sell.

The 3200 is brutal but its also very unreliable, the 4200 is more linear but bullet proof, just go for the flappy paddle gearbox (CC) and make sure the clutch is new is.

If I get another GranSport and we meet up at an event, your welcome to have a go.