Central locking problem - will not lock using remote

davidhowson

Hi Guys
A little problem has happened in the last few days, any thoughts much appreciated -

I can only lock the car using the key in either door, it will not lock on the remote. If I try, the indicators flash to show the alarm is set but doors remain unlocked. If I lock using the key the doors remain locked.
I can, however, unlock the car and disarm the alarm using the remote button or the key in the door.

I have never come across this before, normally the central locking would just stop if it were a fuse or the relay.

Any thoughts where to start to look for the cause?

Micro switch in a door lock maybe?

Thanks!

David

CatmanV2

My word David, that's an odd one.

I guess someone will mention a possible issue with the passenger door, but it's not like any symptoms I've heard of before.

Have you tried a battery reset?

Can you lock with the key from both passenger and driver's side?

Failing that, from left field, what happens if you try to remote lock with the doors open?

I'd guess the next stage would be to get the door card off and see if there's any voltage being presented when you try to lock with the key. I guess there may be a loose connection if the motors need to go positive on lock and negative on unlock (and vice versa)

C

Chrisbassett

It may just be that the lock mechanism is too stiff for the electronic way to push it shut, but not too stiff for opening. Open the door panel and check it over, may just need a little grease. I had something similar, and Autoshield sorted it out, but it took parts - a solenoid, I think.

CatmanV2

It may just be that the lock mechanism is too stiff for the electronic way to push it shut, but not too stiff for opening. Open the door panel and check it over, may just need a little grease. I had something similar, and Autoshield sorted it out, but it took parts - a solenoid, I think.

Pretty sure they locks are *always* moved electrically, by the solenoid. The only difference is the length of the pulse. The key provides a longer pulse.

At least that's the way on lots of cars, but these may be different :) I shall watch the resolution with interest.

C

2b1ask1

Special case
David, are you hearing a light click or clunk at all? if not then it will be solenoid related as they do fry on occasions I had it on a Discovery the remote only throws the one or master solenoid and the system reads it and fires the others so they are all in the same position.

?Not sure it this will help?

davidhowson

Thanks for your quick replies.
I've tried several battery rests without any luck :-( and I can at least lock and unlock using the key in either door, but in this rain, would rather be able to click and run!
Just tried locking with the doors open, closed, one open and then the other…when a door or the boot is open, the alarm chirps when I press to lock to alert me to the fact something is still open.
So everything works exactly as it should bar the actual locking.
There's no sound at all when I press to lock.
Is the solenoid in the drivers door or is there one is both doors? But if that's the problem, why would the central locking still function with the key, and why would it unlock??
I still wonder about the big green relay in the passenger footwell, if that's go an issue on the lock side?
I don't suppose any of you guys are anywhere near Guildford so I could try a swap to see if that cures it?
Thanks again
-David-

2b1ask1

Special case
David, Both doors will have a solenoid (actuator) but one will be the master (usually the driver's door but being Italian and usually LHD it may not be), turning the key manually actuates it and the locks are thrown. I must say I have never looked at the Maserati system but I have worked on many Fiats and others. Usually if a solenoid fails it is unable to generate enough umph to throw the lock and it having fired returns to the old position or nothing at all happens. It may well be there is a relay in the system I don't know. Have you got the manual with wiring diagrams? Also the Eurospares schematics are a great help.

deano

Good evening,f its any concellation my 3200 has exactly the same issue,i fnd it rather annoying,hope to try and have a look at it this weekend,if i get it working ill keep you posted

safrane

Had this on my second 4200. It was the solenoid which has to work harder to lock the car than unlock.

I could, as you, lock with the key as this was assisting the solenoid.

CatmanV2

How odd that it's not making any noise.

Consensus would be solenoid on driver's side do we think?

C

davidhowson

Update

Having finally had a weekend where it has rained constantly, I managed to strip the door and get a meter on the wires running to the drivers door lock and it would appear to be receiving a signal from the remote locking control.
So I am assuming that it's the lock mechanism that's gone, so I have ordered a new one from Europspares - takes about 10 days to arrive from Italy.
Then I just need another day without rain to fit it!
I also noticed that the block connector from the outside door handle was full of water when I opened it, and one of the connectors had broken off!
There's four wires which seem to correspond to handle lift (which sends a signal to drop the window before opening the door), key lock and key unlock and a common earth. Given all the functions still work, God knows how when one wire was effectively disconnected! Anyway, I put a bridging wire in place to fix that.
I'll let you know how I get on when the part arrives.

If anyone needs any pictures of the inside of the door, locks, window bit, air bag etc…let me know and I'll try to get some shots.

-David-

davidhowson

Finally!
Hope this will solve my problem….just need to fit it now and given the door card will have to come again, it will have to wait until the weekend.
-David-
CIMG7785.jpg

MAF260

Update

Having finally had a weekend where it has rained constantly, I managed to strip the door and get a meter on the wires running to the drivers door lock and it would appear to be receiving a signal from the remote locking control.
So I am assuming that it's the lock mechanism that's gone, so I have ordered a new one from Europspares - takes about 10 days to arrive from Italy.
Then I just need another day without rain to fit it!
I also noticed that the block connector from the outside door handle was full of water when I opened it, and one of the connectors had broken off!
There's four wires which seem to correspond to handle lift (which sends a signal to drop the window before opening the door), key lock and key unlock and a common earth. Given all the functions still work, God knows how when one wire was effectively disconnected! Anyway, I put a bridging wire in place to fix that.
I'll let you know how I get on when the part arrives.

If anyone needs any pictures of the inside of the door, locks, window bit, air bag etc…let me know and I'll try to get some shots.

-David-
David - I'd love some pics please. My driver's window has decided not to drop when I open the door from the outside, so I need to investigate. It could be the micro-switch, but then why would it drop when opened from the inside if the micro-switch is faulty? Any experts out there who can shed some light/provide theories?
Thanks!

CatmanV2

David - I'd love some pics please. My driver's window has decided not to drop when I open the door from the outside, so I need to investigate. It could be the micro-switch, but then why would it drop when opened from the inside if the micro-switch is faulty? Any experts out there who can shed some light/provide theories?
Thanks!

I think there's a switch on each of the inside and outside handles.

I could be wrong, though.

C

davidhowson

Two micro switches. One monitors the outside and one on the inside. I found the cable connector for the outside handle was full of water and the connectors rusted to the point one had fallen off!
I will see if I can get the camera inside the door to take a picture, I don't want to disturb a bit of Italian wiring that presently works!!
-David-

conaero

Forum Owner
Arrghh, those locks are a pig to fit David.

Its snapping all those rods on that are a right pain, all done through sharp apertures.

Lots of swearing I am afraid David, but it does help.

MAF260

I think there's a switch on each of the inside and outside handles.

I could be wrong, though.

C
That's useful info, Chris. Thanks.
I'll have a look at mine this weekend hopefully. Can the micro-switches be purchased easily? Maplins etc? Is there any soldering etc. to do? Sorry, I'm not very well-versed with electrics!

davidhowson

The outside micro switch is part 980000964 and costs a whopping £70+vat according to Eurospares, which seems silly considering the entire door lock I've just bought cost only £40!

If you unlock using the key rather than the remote and when you turn the key keep it turned in the unlock position for a few seconds, does your window drop then? Mine does.

-David-