Unusual Quattroporte

GransportFan1

Adam the thing is the QP seems to suit most colours...I think it's because it such a beauty...

yeah and even though Aston have bought out the Rapide, yes it is stunning but you can get a top spec QP for about 50K less and lets face it, is the QP 50K less of a car? i think not.

Andyk

I do like the Rapide but it just sits uneasy with me...It's a DB9 stretch to add some doors. The QP was aleays designed as a 4 door see looks just right.

duncscot

I do like the Rapide but it just sits uneasy with me...It's a DB9 stretch to add some doors. The QP was aleays designed as a 4 door see looks just right.

I agree entirely Andy, same thing with the panemera...... both are just strech jobs of standard two door cars, whereas the QP was always, since day one back in the sixties 4 doors

mowlas

Clarkson et al just rated the QP GTS the best in a comparison with the Rapide and Panemera on Top Gear this evening!

Last edited:

Andyk

Ahhhhhh...I tapes it and have left the Top Gear thread alone until I have watched it tonight as wante dit to be a suprise on what came out on top.....Know look what you've done.....

mowlas

So Sorry Andy! Forgive me.

However, you could pretty much tell which car had won their hearts within the first 5 mins of the piece. I also taped it and had to watch it again as the car was just so beautiful.

Once, again sorry to have taken the edge off watching the piece...

Parisien

No worries Mowlas...........it was a fabulous piece...a real uplift to all Maseratisti.................didn't it look, sound and act the part of a super car sports saloon!!!???

:)

:)

P

mowlas

Absolutely. Even the criticisms about reliability felt 'stretched' - almost like they didn't want to appear too gushing. So a 6 year old design beat it's 2 contemporary rivals!

Parisien

Absolutely. Even the criticisms about reliability felt 'stretched' - almost like they didn't want to appear too gushing. So a 6 year old design beat it's 2 contemporary rivals!

Do they or indeed anyone else in the know.....question the reliablity of the QP........can anyone off the board or those who work in main dealers shed any light on this quibble, or indeed info about the other two marques tested, would be interesting to compare notes!

P

mowlas

Have owned a Sport GT Automatica for almost 9 months now and driven about 6K miles. The car was almost two and half years old when I bought it from Carrs in Exeter. I suspected a mechanical issue and a few cosmetic ones when I bought it but didn't know the car/marque well enough (I am an extremely fussy person) to quibble - the car in black was just so gorgeous! These were respectively:

• Steering: felt ever so slightly vague and not as crisp/precise as my outgoing BMW 645i
  • Trim: in certain light conditions, the varnish atop the carbon fibre on the front centre console and gear knob looked slightly opaque and a small piece of trim on the top section of the steering wheel had started to peel
  • Rear doors: felt a little stiff on closing
  • Interior: couple of minor rattles

After about six months I noticed the Maserati emblem on the front grille had become slightly loose on the lower fixing. I suspected that some kids had tried to prize it off.

However, overall, during my 9 months of ownership the car developed no new problems and the steering got no worse. I was still in total love with the car. I cannot vouch for how the previous owner may have driven it or cared for it though.

When I went to get the final 'free' 3 year service I tried my luck as I still had one month left of the original warranty. I got Carrs to do the service and investigate the warranty items. As I needed the car back in between, HR Owen finished off the warranty investigations. I have to say I was just astonished by the backup I got from Maserati. Here's what they did under warranty:

• Steering: was told that sometimes the front dampers can take time to 'settle'. They replaced the front suspension and re-aligned/re-tracked all four wheels
  • Trim: replaced the front console panel and gear knob trim with new ones
  • Steering wheel: replaced the entire steering wheel
  • Rear doors: replaced the check straps
  • Front grille: replaced the entire front grille (they could have just put on a new badge)
  • Interior rattles: applied leather feed all round to ensure suppleness and fixed the rattles

Never in my experience of BMW or Mercedes ownership had I experienced anything like this. In fact I can say in my experience, BMW dealers would rip you off whever they could and treated you likea mug at every turn.

So what would I say about the QP's reliability? They are built like tanks, with the most exquisite materials. However, should anything go wrong, no matter how minor, there is a peace of mind that the total package will ensure you have nothing to worry out. Cannot speak for Porsche but anecdotally have not heard such good things about Aston Martin aftersales experiences.

It goes without saying, that investing in developing a relationship with the dealer does not hurt and, in what is essentially a 'cottage industry', actually goes a **** of a long way.

Parisien

Mowlas, what a glowing endorsement!

Firstly, its great you still love the car, secondly, fabulous that you got top quality back up from a main dealer!

I do hope you send off a letter to Maserati HQ commending them on the dealer you used HR Owen!

I am really, pleased to have read your fulsome and enlightening report!

Cheers,

P

mowlas

Thank you.

Hadn't thought about sending a letter to Maserati HQ but now you mention it, it is a great idea! I am in e-mail contact with Paul Green, Maserati's UK Customer Service manager and will drop him a line tonight. Have found Paul and his team also very helpful with my dozen and one enquiries!

Was down at HR Owen today picking up a part (cover flap for where the tow rope is fixed) and saw a beautiful MC12 and new 599 GTO. They let me get up close so I took a few pics on my crappy iPhone camera. Will post up in the chat section later.

Parisien

Excellent Mowlas, are you keeping the car for much longer, do keep us all up to speed about your ownership of your QP!

P

Andyk

Realy heart warming to think that there is still some dealers who value customers service....Great experience and thanks for sharing.

mowlas

Thanks guys.

Planning to hold onto the car for maybe 1-2 years. Cannot see myself moving away from Maserati unless my personal circumstances change.

I did write to Paul Green last night at Maserati GB and got this nice reply back this morning:

"Dear Mr Mowla,

Thank you for your Email and for relaying to Maserati your positive experiences with the H R Owen Aftersales team. Obviously we are delighted to receive feedback of this nature and are sure the dealership will continue to look after you in all matters relating to your Maserati.

In the meantime we will pass on your comments to the management team at H R Owen so they may share with all the team.

Many thanks for your Email and for your continued support of the marque.

Paul

Paul Green
Customer Support Manager"​

Parisien

Excellent Mowlas, as we on the board can now see, main dealers, when they are committed, motivated, well trained and well led can be a valuable asset to both the customer and Maserati themselves!

Glad to hear you're going to keep it!

P