Speedline Wheels

del mar

wheel.jpg
I was bored last night - in laws are over - so I did this......

Thanks to Jim for his little tool to hold the bolt heads.

Not sure how to finish them, Ewan used mirror finish powder coating, Jim used polished aluminium.

Gentlemen any pros / cons to either finish ?

Would Chrome work or is that a lot of work to look after ?

Thanks

Del

conaero

Forum Owner
How did you find the Mirror Powder Coating, it can be a bit milky?

Personally I would paint the centres then polish the rims and not lacquer them, just keep polishing them.

You could also do the centres dark grey but what ever you do, dont colour code them to the body.

zagatoes30

I have a refurb'd set of SZ rims, also Speedlines, and we have the same decision. Not keen on the polishing option as you need to keep on top of it, any delay can cause the rim to mark and the it's a refurb again.

SZ Wheel.jpg

Jamie Porter at the Alfa Workshop has a teflon coating he is using now so I might try that.

dickyb

Sorry to hijack things slightly. Zagatoes30, are the SZ wheels proper split rims or are they one piece with the fake studs to make them look like split rims? The reason I ask is that I have some almost identical rims to go on my 33 but they are one piece and I wondered how you refurbished yours, I'm looking to achieve the same kind of finish.

zagatoes30

SZ wheels are true split rims. All the bolts were removed and replaced and the wheels were split and the then refurb'd. The outer rims have been polished which unfortunately removed the Speedline engraving which we are considering ways of reintroducing this may be getting some sticks made and putting them underneath the final coating rather than getting the wheels re-engraved.

Ewan

Mine look great, but it's still only been about a year since they were done. I decided against the polishing option as it's hard to maintain. And the more polishing is required, the sooner you go through the metal. But I would have to say that my mirror finish powder coated rims are not quite as shiny as a purely polished rim can be.

I too miss the "Maserati by Speedline" strapline that used to be etched into the rim. I'd like to put this back if/when possible, and assume some kind of sticker is the way.

dickyb

SZ wheels are true split rims. All the bolts were removed and replaced and the wheels were split and the then refurb'd. The outer rims have been polished which unfortunately removed the Speedline engraving which we are considering ways of reintroducing this may be getting some sticks made and putting them underneath the final coating rather than getting the wheels re-engraved.

Thanks for that, mine are almost identical in appearance but are one piece

ZAM400209

it's done with 'media blasting' Ewan.

DelMar did a bit of research into it and found out all about it- you get a mask template made up...

del mar

I am on the case, i bought one new wheel a couple of years ago so i have a template to work with. I have found a man selling porsche speedline decals, hopefully he can make a version for us.

Will report back.

Del

MAF260

How much is a set of genuine Ghibli Cup Speedline wheels worth? I may know where there is a set, although they will need a refurb.

Ewan

If they need a full refurb I'd say they are not worth very much - as the refurb is at least a grand. There are only 19 of us in the UK with Cups, and we all already have a set. I'm not aware of anyone currently wanting another set, but I have a list of the current owners so if you'd like me to I can easily send out a group email to ask.

Andyk

A rare wheel but I suppose as there is a very limited market for them price isn't high...I would have thought they were worth more..

del mar

I have found them.

The template is red but obviously the finished product would be the white colour. The word Maserati is possibly 2mm longer than the text on the wheel but i can live with that.

Not sure on price yet but cant see it as being a fortune, there is just no economies of scale !!!

How many are interested ?

maserati by speedline.jpgspeedline.jpg

zagatoes30

Not the same style as on the SZ rims but how do you get the image on the rim from a decal?

I can get a set of decals made up relatively easily and was planning to somehow stick the decal below the finishing lacquer but I would prefer it to be etched in id possible.

ZAM400209

hey zagatoes

it's done with 'media blasting'.

They tape on this stencil and mask off the rims- then fire a load of glass beads at the stencil.

Hey Presto! (so to speak)

zagatoes30

hey zagatoes

it's done with 'media blasting'.

They tape on this stencil and mask off the rims- then fire a load of glass beads at the stencil.

Hey Presto! (so to speak)

Cheers, I will need to do some more investigation of how and where I can get this done

mab

Hi all,

I am waking this thread up again as I am looking for a tool that fit the special bolts originally fitted on these wheels. Does anyone know where I can get a hold of one? I have checked wit the Speedline importer here in Sweden, but unfortunately they did not know.

del mar

There aren't any.

Jim had one made up which was essentially a 13mm socket with one side cut off and a flat welded in, I used it on two wheels and then it died.

I spent some money with an engineering firm to make one but it never gripped well enough. When I eventually get round to doing the fronts.... I was just going to use "normal bolts"

Some Porsche wheels used the same bolts, so perhaps they have had more luck with making / sourcing a tool.