Remap of my QPV

drewf

Where is the ECU they work on? There seem to be many...

In the QP it's under the passenger floorpan - pull the carpet up, remove the panel, and see the complex essential electronics installed effectively in a sump, where any water would collect. It's genius. No idea where it is on your car OB, but I'd hazard a guess it's in the same place.

CC4200

Those time improvements are significant, (as someone who used to do 1/4 miling) even tenths of a second are hard to shave off without power gains.

Paul

drewf

Those time improvements are significant, (as someone who used to do 1/4 miling) even tenths of a second are hard to shave off without power gains.

Paul

Quite - I'm impressed that it has actually improved. The point of baselining it was to be able to simply detect any change in performance without special kit - nothing more than a stopwatch and some space to test it. I don't really trust figures plucked out of machines, as there are too many variables that can affect the results - fairly sure that if repeated today the numbers would be different. However, the stopwatch is fairly reliable....

Blu Elettrico

Are they doing anything for the 4.7 Drew? Did I read it was near Reading, if so not far from me so may investigate once warranty has run out.
Cheers Blu

drewf

Yes mate - he will sort a 4.7 map too. Yes, it's near your place... Will PM you the address, not putting it online at the moment until Matt confirms he's OK with it.

hodroyd

On those figures Drew, you are a fraction behind a 4.7 GTS, like 1/2 second to 100mph and a couple of BHP, that's quite impressive..!!

drewf

I'd take the BHP figures with a pinch of salt - we don't know what a standard 4.7 GTS would measure as on the same dyno... I'm only interested in the % improvement, as that's a meaningful measurement.

That said, the stopwatch figures were nice to see, and it certainly feels quicker! Between my two fixed points, the terminal velocity was higher too, as you might expect.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
In the QP it's under the passenger floorpan - pull the carpet up, remove the panel, and see the complex essential electronics installed effectively in a sump, where any water would collect. It's genius. No idea where it is on your car OB, but I'd hazard a guess it's in the same place.

I think I have one either side and some in the boot. :smile:

Dyer3200

Me too, but the others aren't for the engine... :)

Hi Drew, if you recall I was behind you in the queue to get into Silverstone I had a quick chat with you and Mrs Drew (sorry hopeless with names)
had a fab day

I am also interested in the remap and not far from Reading either

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
How did they remap it?
I'm curious that if they took the ECU out, it was not remapped on the rollers, rather, tested for power on the rollers with unmodified ECU, ECU removed and altered, refitted, then tested for power with modified ECU.
That's not really proper remapping, remapping is every load and speed point adjusted for optimum power or economy as required, you can't do that with the ECU on the bench.
Or have I got it all wrong?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If the ECU is removed and re-flashed they install a generic map. If it's done on the rollers, it's a custom map. The custom maps are generally more expensive as it takes a lot of rolling road time and the car gets more of a beating. Also, the gains of a custom map over a generic map won't be much more on a normally aspirated engine.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I would of thought they would still have to do a custom map on the first volunteer, then sell that map as a generic map.
How do you know what to alter if you don't do a full analysis first?

Chrisbassett

I would of thought they would still have to do a custom map on the first volunteer, then sell that map as a generic map.
How do you know what to alter if you don't do a full analysis first?

I think Drew said they had mapped this kind of ECU previously, so probably just made adjustments based on the standard map, their understanding of that and the maser engine, and as there's only a few parameters to play with they can get it good enough quite easily.

hodroyd

He's got an increase in power for not a bad price, such as the DMS Software & Remap are a chunk more than drew paid..!!

drewf

I think Drew said they had mapped this kind of ECU previously, so probably just made adjustments based on the standard map, their understanding of that and the maser engine, and as there's only a few parameters to play with they can get it good enough quite easily.

Chris has it spot on. The Maserati engine map is simple. MUCH more simple than you might imagine, with tables of parameters representing how to fuel the engine under various load conditions, and when to tell the gearbox to change depending on mode selected.

They have modified many of the same ECU for other vehicles, and Maserati haven't done anything new... As this was the first remap, they read the original from the car, studied the maps, compared to other similar cars (Ferrari with similar engines and same controller) then performed some calcs, made a load of parameter changes and discussed the different 3D visual representations of the original and new maps. This wasn't about making peak power, but also about making it nicer to drive lower down the rev range.

This new custom map was then flashed into the car and tested. You are right to say that having the car on the dyno all day and optimising every point could be done, but with a simple NA engine there's only tiny advantage to doing it, and a load of stress on the car. Not worth it to me... It's not a race car!

This new map could be dropped into another QP and the results will be the same - it's a simple machine control problem. I'm willing to bet there are tiny differences between the maps for all our cars...

Ebenezer

Hi Drew
It was good to meet you at Silverstone. It's been a couple of years since you had the remap done to your QP. Have you had any ill effects? Having had the DBW installed, and an x-pipe, I'm looking for the next thing.... and this looks like a very cost effective enhancement (and I live in Reading too!)
Also interested in what could be done on the gear box mapping too. It would be good to be able to disable the auto change up and kick down when in manual mode.
Thanks
Eb

urquattrogus

As long as the Air Fuel Ratio is measured carefully on the rolling road one would hope it will be fine.

I had my urquattro custom live mapped on the road. that was a bit hairy! Me driving and some bloke called Dimitri using his laptop and a set of headphone to check for detonation/knock.