Maserati Coupe 4200 - Project.. Anyone interested?

philw696

With limited time I'm aiming to get it back up and running as a trusty 4200 cc so sorry Benny but that conversion is yours or Matt's.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Phil, see if you can get a 4.7 and put that in. It would make it more desirable and you could tread the path that others, including me, can follow! ;)

What is the difference?
Is it the block, and the 4.2 heads etc can swop over, or the block and heads, and the 4.2 ancillaries can swop over?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Apparently the 4.7 is dry sump whilst the 4.2 is a wet sump, however, the ancillaries swap straight over as it's the same block. The main issue is the sensors/engine wiring loom/ engine ECU rats nest. If we can sort that it should be pretty straightforward. I'm hoping to give it a try in years to come when mine eventually lets go!

alfatwo

You can see why, to get rid of the 4200's engines achilles heel and bore it out for a bit more power and torque!

Dave

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Other way around, our 4.2 is dry sump.
If its 'just' the block, being different stroke/bore for increased capacity, and all the ancillaries bolt on around it from the 4.2, there should not be any issue with sensors, loom etc but a remapped, or alternative ECU fed with the sensor info.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
You are correct, that's what I meant to write! Doh! I'm led to believe there are a couple more sensors on the (wet sump) 4.7 but I'm pretty sure if you put the 4.2 wiring harness and ECU on and re-map it, it will be somewhere very close. I'll, hopefully, let you know in the fullness of time!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
You can see why, to get rid of the 4200's engines achilles heel and bore it out for a bit more power and torque!

Not so much an Achilles heel, more of a foot up the 3200s a55! The bigger the better, which is an awful lot better than a mere 3.2 pig-iron exhaust-gas pump! ;)

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Certainly a great project to do, surprised it has not been done already, but all down to numbers I guess, if we where talking say BMW it would have been done as soon as the 4.7 came out!

Emtee

Why would you go to the massive effort to put a 4.7 in when you could far more simply supercharge the 4.2?

as for replacing the engine after oil pump failure! it's about £5.5 K for replacement engine and installation.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
You are not really putting the 4.7 engine in, rather rebuilding the 4.2 using the 4.7 block.
I think that is easier than supercharging.
Another area is induction, most performance cars don't have a single throttle body, but two (F430) or one per cylinder.
I'm actually fitting a custom fuel injection inlet manifold with one throttle body per cylinder to my Triumph Stag V8 that I have made myself!

Attachments

• 2013-03-14 21.54.52.jpg
    2013-03-14 21.54.52.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39

Emtee

Completely agree Mike, but the return on effort is negligible, whereas charging the 4.2 offers much greater gains.

philw696

Some interesting conversation guys here.
I'm not doing a lot of work at the minute as winding my UK life down.
See this as a nice project to keep another Maserati on the road and not become a breaker.
So for me its just my time and getting another engine.
There's good history with the car and last owner had it for 8 years.
Phil.

hodroyd

So have you bought it Phil..?? Nikos says there is an engine in Greece, when I sent him one over it cost I think about £180 in shipping..!!

Mr.Cambio

So have you bought it Phil..?? Nikos says there is an engine in Greece, when I sent him one over it cost I think about £180 in shipping..!!

The specific engine is up for sale for a long time, so i guess we may push the price.