Maserati Coupe 4200 - Project.. Anyone interested?

jh58

Pretty isn't it?! Except, it probably needs a new engine or at least a total engine rebuild.

Is there any demand for people who want projects like this? Would love to get it running but can't afford garage prices it will sit in our barn for months until we clear the decks and get around to it. Seems a shame to brake it...Engines can go at reasonable prices, but needs someone with some spanner skills.

Am i crazy, or is there a chance of selling this as a project? The car itself apart from this little issue (!) is in mint condition inside / out, although has fairly high miles for what it is, 91k! Was used every day up until 2 weeks ago when it dropped all of it's coolant a turned into a tractor! All service history, mostly from Ferrari Garage. Semi-auto F1 paddle shift gearbox, sat nav, parking sensors etc etc. Same owner 8 years.

Any help or advise welcomed !!

masa.jpg

hodroyd

Not worth a great deal without an engine and someone may be interested, but you need to offer a bit more detail, year, condition, tyres, service history etc..!! Have you had any prognosis on the engine condition at all..?? If all the coolant dropped and the driver carried on driving, you will probably need head gasket, cams at least, so not a cheap repair..!!

allandwf

Looks a nice colour. If it needs a new/replacement engine then £3-4k should pick one up used, then the other bits and bobs. Really need to be able to do most of the work yourself to make it viable. 5k-6k for it as is?

midlifecrisis

When the previous owner of mine hydrolocked the engine it cost £16,000 to remove, recondition and refit the engine. So good luck.

jh58

Thank you for the replies.

It's 2004, passed a years MOT in June and last full service done end of Dec 2013. Most services carried out by a Ferrari Main Dealer and has been meticulously maintained throughout it's life. All tyres are good, it had a new clutch at 66k. The car wasn't driven after the coolant dropped and only did a 2mile journey from being completely fine to completely broken! The garage didn't look at it into too much detail was just taking the engine apart to diagnose would cost a fair chunk (at their labour rates) but think it was caused by the oil pressure. It had a new ABS unit 3 weeks before this happened! D'oh. They did say it could be repaired (probably) but it may be more economical to replace the engine, and less work.

jh58

Hi CatmanV2, yes we believe so, apparently they have seen it before. Until the bottom part of the engine is taken off, it's hard to know how much damage has been done... Seems a crying shame to brake it but it does appear I might get more for it in parts!

hodroyd

It would be a real shame to scrap it for parts when only the engine has an issue..??

philw696

Well I think it could be a nice project and I'm expressing my interest guys as I'm not doing a lot of work at the miuute and fancy a bit of fun before I go to New Zealand.
Phil.

philw696

Love the colour Robert and to be truthful mid having a bit of grunt.
Reckon I can do it and then pass it on to a new owner covering my costs.

Mr.Cambio

There is a 4200 engine in Greece for sale. If you want an offer, tell me and i'll bring you in touch.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Phil, see if you can get a 4.7 and put that in. It would make it more desirable and you could tread the path that others, including me, can follow! ;)

Andyk

Love the colour Robert and to be truthful mid having a bit of grunt.
Reckon I can do it and then pass it on to a new owner covering my costs.

With your knowledge Phil it should be a good project for you.....

2b1ask1

Special case
I'd have no hesitation tackling this... Though my plate is a little full at the moment; good luck Phil.