Sim Card Holder

JAGPURR

Being a naughty boy I was checking out the other channel, Someone was enquiring about where to buy a sim card holder to fit the 4200 phone slot. These cost £25 from euro but this is the reply I posted to him.

(Although the simcard holder looks special there is no need to buy one. If you get a pay as you go sim ( I got one from O2 ) it normally comes in a credit card sized format that you normally remove the small sim card from. Don't snap it out but insert the complete card. The Maserati holder mearly holds your small sim card in the same position. Hope this saves you time and money.)

I'm sure most people here know this but posted here just incase some newbie is unaware.

I find this the best option rather than constantly swapping your sim card just get a pay as you go card and give your Maserati it's very own number. You can only give this to friends and family and if you must can always transfer calls from your other numbers.

Keith

Parisien

Cheers for that Keith.........very useful, must get around to doing it some day......car is kitted out, but not used it!

P

davidhowson

Keith. I don't doubt what you are saying, but my experience was that the airtime company's card containing the sim didn't work in my car, only when I put it into the Maserati holder did the phone fire up.
-David-

JAGPURR

simcard holder

Hi David,

My phone has been working for over a year without any problems. here are a couple of pics compareing the card with a maserati original which bizarely I found under the carpet about a year after I got the car, as long as they are fitted the correct way round they work ok. I have tried a card from T-Mobile also without problems.
Keith

card1.jpg

card2.jpg

davidhowson

I stand corrected! Something must not have been quite right for me, anyway I'm working fully now and I find the built in system very good. Far better than the sat nav functions!
Moral - try before you buy!
Regards
David

jasst

Thanks for this, have just asked the question elsewhere, have now found the answer by accident!

stevo

I have a 2009 GT. I have all the buttons for telephone and have put my sim in the slot but I get the message 'option not available'. I assume this means that my car is not wired for this option? Or is there something else I need to do?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Wanderer

I find the slot well fussy, ASDA mobile ok, Three no, Smarty no, now I have Plusnet, unlimited calls and sms, 6 quid a mo. Works a treat...

stevo

It's an O2 4g pay as you go sim.

I am also following the thread on the overlay screen from Australia. Looks awsome. Are you able to assist with installation? Single malt is on offer

Stevo

midlifecrisis

The cars were 2002 to 2007 vintage for 4200 which was prime 3G period so most cards should work, but I've tried a few and could only get a T-mobile one to work. Nowadays I have a sim card stuck in there just to get the error message of the screen. I might use a giff-gaff one for £5 just to try to see if it works for Le mans. Although any simless mobile phone can make emergency calls should you need it.

CatmanV2

It's an O2 4g pay as you go sim.

I am also following the thread on the overlay screen from Australia. Looks awsome. Are you able to assist with installation? Single malt is on offer

Stevo

More than happy to assist as long as you're not in a tearing hurry and you can get the car to me in Essex :)

C

Corranga

I have a Giff-gaff sim in mine and it works quite happily. Need to use it every 6 months to keep the sim activated. I simply call myself, and let my voicemail answer, then hang up. Giff gaff immediately SMS with my balance too, which the 4200 happily displays. Pretty sure you can sent SMS from it too, though it's a bit fiddly to type with a volume dial!

montravia

The cars were 2002 to 2007 vintage for 4200 which was prime 3G period so most cards should work, but I've tried a few and could only get a T-mobile one to work. Nowadays I have a sim card stuck in there just to get the error message of the screen. I might use a giff-gaff one for £5 just to try to see if it works for Le mans. Although any simless mobile phone can make emergency calls should you need it.

Giff Gaff works. Can divert your mobile to it too, at least from EE

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I have a giffgaff SIM in mine, works great.
The car phone is 2G though, so will work for as long as 2G network available.
Three abandoned the 2G network a while ago, Giffgaff uses the O2 network that of course still supports 2G.

stevo

More than happy to assist as long as you're not in a tearing hurry and you can get the car to me in Essex :)

C
Cheers. Would like it to be fixed before le mans if possible. What's the delivery like on these?

CatmanV2

Cheers. Would like it to be fixed before le mans if possible. What's the delivery like on these?

No idea. When is Le Mans (yes, I'm not a real man, I know)

I think that's going to be unlikely :( I'm in CA from the until the 8th....

C

stevo

I have a giffgaff SIM in mine, works great.
The car phone is 2G though, so will work for as long as 2G network available.
Three abandoned the 2G network a while ago, Giffgaff uses the O2 network that of course still supports 2G.
Does this explain why my 4g sim doesn't work?

stevo

No idea. When is Le Mans (yes, I'm not a real man, I know)

I think that's going to be unlikely :( I'm in CA from the until the 8th....

C
Ok I'll make contact after the 8th as I haven't received my device yet. Thanks