Over filled oil 4200???

Spartacus

i checked the oil on my newly acquired 4200 the other day . and its about 3 cm s above the "high" marker .

i think the previous owner has over filled it ?

now my knowledge of engines says that over filled oil can lead to blowing head gaskets ect..

is there a way of draining some out other than the sump plug and wasting all the perfectly good oil??

allandwf

You did it hot and while the engine was running? I think thats the procedure for the 4200.

maverick

I presume you checked the level when the car was running and up to temp . if you have than you can syphon it out though the filler . its a common mistake when people don't relise its a dry sump and when there check it when off and cold there top it up !

Spartacus

Yes i got it up to temperature and checked . and its still way up over the high level . So siphon it out of the filler when cold?

My oil pressure was right up at 5 on cold idle , falling to just above half way when up to temp . and full over when revved. i take it this is normal ???

hodroyd

Yes full 5 when cold and on throttle, tickover just over half, sometimes lower if red hot..!! If you start the car from cold, leave it running for a couple of minutes then check the oil, this should be accurate. If you check it after a run, the bubbles can make you think it is over the mark when it might not be..?? If it is over the mark then a thin plastic tube down the fill pipe might get it out, I don't think you can get at the oil through the filler tube, the other way is the lower plug on the engine..??

conaero

Forum Owner
there is drain at the bottom of the reservoir, you can just undo that and let a bit out. There is a bung in the tray below to gain access.

QP4Me

Don't do what I did in a moment of stupidity.

I put too much oil in my dry sump QP. I decided, while the engine was running and the oil boiling hot (yes, more injuries), to undo the sump drain bolt, 'to let a bit out'.

Mistake. The bung shot out like a rocket, followed by a torrent of boiling hot oil. I did attempt to stick my finger in the gusher, but a mixture of pressurised oil and high temperature prevented me stemming the flow.

I lost all my new oil and created a major eco-disaster in my workshot.