Fulvia 1600 HF

zagatoes30

The second one is the better of the two being an early S2 in original condition. The first one is a fully restored S3 and although all bar the paint done really well it just feels wrong. I love the S2 but have to justify £10k extra for a Montecarlo over a good std 1.3S which other than a few tricks bits and its rarity is the same car.

Contigo

Sponsor
The second one is the better of the two being an early S2 in original condition. The first one is a fully restored S3 and although all bar the paint done really well it just feels wrong. I love the S2 but have to justify £10k extra for a Montecarlo over a good std 1.3S which other than a few tricks bits and its rarity is the same car.

Tyre kicking by the sounds of it! :D

zagatoes30

Tyre kicking by the sounds of it! :D

Nice tyres to kick, I forgot how nimble Fulvias are and that little 1.3 spins up the rev range really quickly, close ratios and slick change leads to surprisingly quick point to point driving on country A & B roads.

I am going to make an offer but I suspect it will be turned down, the guy selling is really trying to push Fulvia prices up. He gets some of the best cars and asks top numbers which he often gets. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

BuckRog64

Lovely. I've liked these since they were new and have often been tempted. In fact there are a couple of quite nice looking standard cars coming up for auction at Historics this month.

zagatoes30

So maybe time to explain

I have been trawling the classifieds for some time and have been considering a modern classic sportscar, Cayman S or S2000, but although both are great cars they are just too ordinary. Other options Dickies 996 Cab and even another Maser just don't get me wanting them enough.

I have always wanted a Fulvia, I think it is one of the best looking cars of all time, it has such a delicate style but behind its smart clothes it has a level on engineering that has long gone from this world. Like all proper Lancias, engineered to a standard not a price. The fact I missed out on 1600HF tarmac rally car earlier in the year made that want one more.

I have stalked every Fulvia that has come up for sale in the last year and other than the HF nothing has been quite perfect. I knew I wanted LHD, hate the raised lights on the RHD cars, I knew I wanted the bumperless HF stance and I had come to accept I couldn't afford a HF. I looked at loads of standard cars with a mind to removing the bumpers, adding the Cromadora alloys etc. I even contacted a number of Italian dealers who are sourcing cars for the UK (some better than others so be careful).

Through this search Tony at Fulvia Classics always seemed to have the best cars but always at the highest prices, I am sure that he is individually driving Fulvia prices higher. So eventually I decided to go and see him and he immediately reminded me of Dickie Grace. He has an easy going style, not pushy just a font of knowledge, he buys the best cars there are, he prepares them perfectly and he is prepared to spend time talking to you about what you want even if he doesn't have a suitable car at the time.

When he contacted me last week to tell me that he had 2 Fulvia Montecarlos and knew I would be interested. The Montecarlo is a limited edition run built to celebrate the Fulvia HF win in the 1972 Monte Carlo rally. They are standard 1.3S cars but with the HF stance, wider wheel arches, no bumpers , HF seats and steering wheeland a rally look with black bonnets and boot lids. They were built in both S2 and S3 versions in four colours Red Italy, Green UK, Blue France and Yellow Holland and are becoming rare

Tony had both an S2 and an S3, the latter being a totally restored car, all new panels, detailed photograhic evidence of the build including modified engine and box all gas flowed with uprated cams, HF manifold and twin 40s. It is a lovely car but the paint finish was not perfect and that little bit of detailed care was missing, e.g. a dent in the bonnet where the larger carbs had touched from the inside and some heavy store chips.

The S2 on the other hand was a bit different, slightly modified but more in line with the original. It has alloy bonnet and boot from an early S1, it had the group 3 arches, it had smaller magnesium 13" alloys similar to the 72 MC winning HF. inside it had a black rarher than wooden dash and a genuine HF steering wheel, period style bucket seats with harnesses all point to being closer to the HF. It has HF front suspension which adds a touch of negative camber to improve turn in and a HF Stainless sports exhaust.

Expensive, yes but with reason. Fulvia prices in gerneral are rising even std 1.3S cars are £12-14k with good examples making £17k, Tony has just sold a std S3 with 12k miles for £23k, and the rarer HF, MC & Safari editions asking hefty premiums. The only othe MC I could find for sale was one needing TLC in Italy at £20k. I have always followed the buy the best you can afford philosophy and based on the fact that an offer was made.

So subject to an independent inspection next week I am an owner of that much awaited Fulvia. Tony has a few minor niggles to address and the car has to be UK regiastered having only just arrived from Trieste. Hopefully early Oct I will have another Italian parked in the garage.

Last edited:

lifes2short

A bit of paint but original unmolestered body with no rust

Perfect, I also prefer buying unmolested original motors, with classic motors it's that old argument that if a car has had far too much new bodywork it's not really original anymore no matter how well it's been done, the money is in originality these days and history