Fulvia 1600 HF

TridentTested

Congratulations, an all-time classic.

I've had the good fortune to drive a friend's Fulvia once in South Africa - a charismatic car.

Fulvia or Alfa Romeo 105? I've always been an Alfa fan so have tended to come down on the 105 side of this debate but I have to admit Lancias of the day were better conceived and engineered. As you say, engineered for function, not for price. It is, what bankrupt the company: no compromise.

zagatoes30

Congratulations, an all-time classic.

I've had the good fortune to drive a friend's Fulvia once in South Africa - a charismatic car.

Fulvia or Alfa Romeo 105? I've always been an Alfa fan so have tended to come down on the 105 side of this debate but I have to admit Lancias of the day were better conceived and engineered. As you say, engineered for function, not for price. It is, what bankrupt the company: no compromise.

I am an Alfa fan but IMO the Fulvia just wins over the 105, its the finesse of its design, the delicate proportions and those lovely sharp edges - just like a good Italian suit.

Evo Cymru

Very cool! Considered one for a while a few years ago but the buyers guide in Auto Italia scared me silly! Being an import though this should not have the rust issues so I hope it is a good one for you.

zagatoes30

Very cool! Considered one for a while a few years ago but the buyers guide in Auto Italia scared me silly! Being an import though this should not have the rust issues so I hope it is a good one for you.

Rust is the killer for these but no different top other cars of the era. This one has already been checked prior to being brought over from Italy but regardless I have it booked in for an independent inspection tomorrow. We will see what they say

lifes2short

you may be interested to know that in "Practical Classics" October edition there is a 2 page write up on the Fulvia V4 engine

zagatoes30

Clean bill of health from inspection, under seal is hard but no cracks so recommendation is to put a layer of wax on it to protect. Slight oil weep from the back of the gearbox but tiny, keep an eye on it. Needs a new ignition barrel but the seller advised me of this and he already has one on order.

Other than that great, the inspector took it for a drive and was amazed how light it was and how well it handled - good by todays standards but it must have been amazing when it was new 45 years ago.

So next step is getting it UK registered and then its mine.

zagatoes30

Great News Andy and I'm getting one for sure when I get to France and are in my daily search now.

You know you won't be disappointed but prices are on the rise although there are still a lot of cheaper ones in Italy that need some TLC but are rot free, just up your street.