Jalpa Post Detail

Team GCR

Did you see that a LHD black Jalpa just sold at the Silverstone Auction for about £78k? Don't forget to up your insurance!

Yes I did but thank you for thinking of me. The RHD one that sold at the Goodwood Members Meeting is currently for sale with Tom Hartley at £109,000 so definitely need to up the insurance a bit!

Team GCR

Looks like a great job. Black cars are never easy to detail. How is the MCV?

No not the easiest, since then it went in to have some minor paint defects sorted which has turned into a back to metal repaint! Also having the interior retrimmed by the same person who did RobinD's 308 so it should be pretty stunning when it is finished.

Not had much chance to use the MCV but it is nicely tucked up in the garage under its fitted cover! Taking it out this weekend though, going to see an old school friend in Windlesham and we are taking his car mad eldest out for a run in it.

hilts uk

No not the easiest, since then it went in to have some minor paint defects sorted which has turned into a back to metal repaint! Also having the interior retrimmed by the same person who did RobinD's 308 so it should be pretty stunning when it is finished.

Not had much chance to use the MCV but it is nicely tucked up in the garage under its fitted cover! Taking it out this weekend though, going to see an old school friend in Windlesham and we are taking his car mad eldest out for a run in it.

Did you fit the Larini x pipe and sports cats? It transformed my car.

Team GCR

Did you fit the Larini x pipe and sports cats? It transformed my car.

Yes the MCV has a complete Larini exhaust including the manifolds, only bit remaining to be changed is the back boxes for valved Larini items which will happen in due course.

alfatwo

Is your old detailing guy still around... as the old 3200GT could do with a good polish, I'm only down the road in Crick

Dave

Gazcw

Is your old detailing guy still around... as the old 3200GT could do with a good polish, I'm only down the road in Crick

Dave

Dave is that Crick at J18? If yes, that is close to me. I was in West Haddon now in Guilsborough.

Gary

Team GCR

Do these make a big difference? I know people found them transformational for the early 4200s but interested to know if they're worth it on the already lowered GS?

I find the ride better in normal mode with the FD springs and the car also feels sharper in Sport mode, so yes I think they are worth it though I bought mine (brand new) from a fellow SM member who hadn't fitted them so I didn't pay full price.

Team GCR

Purchased this on eBay today to replace the far too modern head unit the Jalpa has at the moment. Brand new old stock with both inner and outer boxes, I think a Nakamichi radio cassette would be just the sort of radio a Jalpa owner might have bought back in the day!

Nakamichi RD360 radio cassette player.

Nak RD360 box.jpg

Nak  360.jpg

Nak 360.jpg

Nak RD630.jpg

Last edited:

hilts uk

I find the ride better in normal mode with the FD springs and the car also feels sharper in Sport mode, so yes I think they are worth it though I bought mine (brand new) from a fellow SM member who hadn't fitted them so I didn't pay full price.

Mine is already pretty sharp (sometimes a little too sharp), I don't know what they did to the MCV steering vs the GS but there seems to be a difference. I considered the Larini back boxes but I don't think they can work off the sport button, I find the Larini spors cats and x pipe have made a big difference to the sound and pick up. Do you need a seperate remote for the valved Larini rears?

hilts uk

Purchased this on eBay today to replace the far too modern head unit the Jalpa has at the moment. Brand new old stock with both inner and outer boxes, I think a Nakamichi radio cassette would be just the sort of radio a Jalpa owner might have bought back in the day!

Nakamichi RD360 radio cassette player.

View attachment 34677

View attachment 34679

View attachment 34680

View attachment 34678

Loolks good, takes me back a few years. Can you play both sides of the tape without ejecting!?

Ewan

My Jalpa had an Alpine job fitted from new. But this Nakamichi looks exactly right as well. Excellent find.

I've been hunting for something similar myself to go in my 400i, and have ended up going for a Blaupunkt Hamburg. It's slightly too modern (being a 1986 model), but is so much better technically than the stuff from just a few years earlier that I've decided to compromise.

Remember the Nakamichi tape player that Mickey Rourke's character had in the film 9 1/2 weeks? To "auto-reverse", it actually spun the whole cassette around. Fantastic.

hilts uk

I've got a 1970 Becker radio cassette in the ghibli. No auto reverse but it does have blue tooth so I can stream from phone. Biggest problem is speakers are tiny and sound and are drowned out by engine.