Ghibli problem

Andy Marshall

My colleague has a lovely Ghibli petrol that he has had for a couple of months. When he got it he had lots of problems with spurious warnings on the dash and it went to the main dealer for rectification. Turned out it was a duff battery and a new unit has pretty much sorted everything out. Well, almost. For the past month he has been waiting for the dealer to get back to him on his one remaining fault. ................... the symptoms of which are that when he lifts off at medium - high revs he immediately gets an oil pressure warning message on the dash. Foot back down and it goes, lift off and its back. Oil levels and pressures have been checked and all are ok. The dealer says it's a fault that has affected a number of cars and they are waiting for a solution from Italy. My colleague however is getting increasingly frustrated as it is spoiling his enjoyment of what would otherwise be a dream car for him.
To me it looks like an electrical connector issue in that maybe something is flexing in the wiring as the engine moves on its mounts on the lift off, but I cannot see anything obvious under the bonnet, but thats just a wild guess. I doubt its the sender because the car behaves normally at all other times.
The dealer is being a bit pathetic tbh and if there is any more "knowledge out there" that can help to solve this mystery I'd be happy to pass it on to my colleague

EXCF350

Could it be a software problem where it detects a drop in oil pressure when he lifts off the throttle?

Rex B

Certainly an interesting approach.....

C

You would have thought this would have been the first thing to change, perhaps this is an issue they have found on a number of cars and have tried this approach before. It could be a vacuum is created when backing off is stopping oil pressure getting to the sensor. It would be interesting to see what the solution is. (New engine?)

Rex B

allandwf

They relate pressure to revs , so it is maybe just out of sync slightly in the software.

CatmanV2

Yes, I have to be charitable and assume they have some data indicating the sensor is not the problem. Alternatively if the pressure has been tested as OK, why not just get out and drive?

C

allandwf

Could it be a "high" warning, possibly not seeing the pressure drop off quickly enough?

Andy Marshall

Yes, I have to be charitable and assume they have some data indicating the sensor is not the problem. Alternatively if the pressure has been tested as OK, why not just get out and drive?

C

He's driving it every day. It's just a balls ache that the car sounds a warning chime and flashes a warning on the dash umpteen times per journey!

Andy Marshall

Its back with the dealer.... More and more lights coming on now including gearbox light. Car also said it had plenty of fuel - - and then promptly ran out!

Andy Marshall

Oh dear. Not good at all!

C

Yes. I feel so sorry for him. He only bought the car after he had seen the good time I had had with my Masers over the past few years. It replaced a largely faultless Jaguar XFR that he had had from new and, despite the step down in power, he was initially delighted with it. It's all going sour unless Maserati can pull something out of the bag!

jluis

I would suggest your friend to try a different dealer.
All of those faults are probably related and most likely they are wiring related.

Modern cars run large networks of sensors on shared can buses and all it takes is a bad one and the entire bus can behave like ****.

I remember reading on a jaguar technical manual that their entertainment system ran on a shared bus in ring topology and just removing one element was enough to take down the entire bus ...

CatmanV2

<Edit> Reads all of post: Well I hope the dealer is suitably embarassed</edit>

Fuse or flat battery

C