Shamal RHD

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Congratulations Ewan, didn't think it would hang around. I'm listing one next week, albeit LHD.

Ewan

Price-wise I thought I got lucky when I bought it, and this appears to have been proven true. I'd have liked to have kept it, but have an interesting Maserati restoration project to fund so taking the profit from this car seemed the sensible thing to do.

I don't think the bubble will burst on this particular car. It's virtually impossible to buy a RHD Shamal and mine is the only one in blue. So, if a concours winning RHD Shamal in blue with low miles is what you want, you'll need to pay good money. It's all about how unique the individual car is.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
What's the restoration project Ewan? Nice that the market rise of one Maserati can save another.

Ewan

Can't say yet as the deals not done. But if I do get the car, I'll post some pre-restoration shots. Exciting times.

safrane

Pleased to see any profit going to a private member rather than a dealer...and as its funding another Maserati restoration we all win...only sad part is I wanted to call round on my return trip from Emblem in a fortnight.

merak_ss

I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to say I'm the new owner of this fantastic Shamal! A model I have always wanted to own. I used to own a concours RHD 1999 Ghibli GT in black with green leather interior (anyone know where it is now?) which I sold in around 2002, and always regretted letting it go. The styling of the Shamal is just that bit more extreme and to my eyes even more stunning. The chance to own the only blue RHD UK car, immaculate with low miles and 100% sorted, was just impossible to let pass. It will be one of the display cars at Wilton House this Sunday - is anyone from here going? It would be great to meet some of you guys! Regards, Ed.

zagatoes30

Glad a truly lovely car has moved on to be cherished by another enthusiast. That is what owning these cars is all about custodians until you pass them on to the next.

Phil H

It will be one of the display cars at Wilton House this Sunday - is anyone from here going? It would be great to meet some of you guys! Regards, Ed.

Saturday, Sunday, or maybe both depending on the weather, and at least 2 more from the Forum have registered with PH.

I drooled over your Shamal at Emblem before Ewan bought it and I posted a link which led to him buying a tractor recently, so there's a pattern emerging. It is a stunning car, and deserves to be cherished.

PH

merak_ss

Congratulations Ed, you're a lucky man - enjoy!
Thanks Stuart!

Glad a truly lovely car has moved on to be cherished by another enthusiast. That is what owning these cars is all about custodians until you pass them on to the next.
Exactly!

Saturday, Sunday, or maybe both depending on the weather, and at least 2 more from the Forum have registered with PH.
I drooled over your Shamal at Emblem before Ewan bought it and I posted a link which led to him buying a tractor recently, so there's a pattern emerging. It is a stunning car, and deserves to be cherished. PH
You bet it does Phil. I'll do my best - I'm always hunting for things to improve, and obsessive about originality and preventative maintenance. I'll keep using and enjoying it whenever weather permits - the best way to keep it in good shape. This car will only get even better in my care.
Hopefully see you on Sunday.

merak_ss

No, not a typo Mike. The car is now sold (at just shy of the asking price) and I'm having it delivered to the new owner tomorrow. He's very excited and rightly so. It'll continue to appreciate and doubtless the next RHD to come to market (if in concours condition) will be in six figures.

I came across a Historic Inflation Calculator on this page that tells you what money from years gone by is worth in today's money. So I decided to find out how much (in today's money) the first owner of this Shamal paid for it, brand new. There is an article in the car's history file clipped from the Telegraph newspaper in 1994, about the car and its first owner, and it says he paid £56,000 for it. According to the calculator, that is about £102,000 in today's money!!! So the car has some way to go yet before it's worth (in real terms) what it cost new. Makes me feel I got a real bargain!

Ewan

I just used that calculator for my 1990 Porsche 944 Turbo - the equivalent of £97,000. And my 1981 Ferrari 400i comes in at around £110,000.