Question of the day

spkennyuk

I confess i watch too many QI episodes. Although the loudest sound ever recorded underwater they still don't know what caused it.

drewf

Trouble is mate - it's the kind of **** I do know, vaguely interesting for a second or so, but totally useless.

Contigo

Sponsor
That has made my day, the fact the a shrimp click can generate a bubble which went burst can generate temperatures as hot as the suns surface!!! :)

drewf

That has made my day, the fact the a shrimp click can generate a bubble which went burst can generate temperatures as hot as the suns surface!!! :)

My work is done :)

Don't blame me when you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about it...

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Going back to the fly and the train train of thought; in a single cylinder engine at precisely top-dead-centre the piston comes to a stop, does the crank?

drewf

Going back to the fly and the train train of thought; in a single cylinder engine at precisely top-dead-centre the piston comes to a stop, does the crank?

In that vector, yes. In rotational terms, which is its reason for being there, no.

Where is the fly in this, btw?

drewf

Well, I assume then that since birds pre-date humans, there would have been a need for some sort of bird-scarer as soon as humans moved away from gathering berries etc and started farming. That's quite a while ago...

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
In that vector, yes. In rotational terms, which is its reason for being there, no.

Where is the fly in this, btw?

The piston. It has to decelerate, stop and accelerate in a different direction, like the fly, but the crank (train) doesn't, at any point, stop.

CatmanV2

The piston. It has to decelerate, stop and accelerate in a different direction, like the fly, but the crank (train) doesn't, at any point, stop.

It does in the vector of up and down. It doesn't at any other, so effectively its up and down is translated to side to side.

90 degrees later the opposite is true. The same point of the crank will e at its maximum velocity in the vertical vector, but it's horizontal vector will be zero.

Really it never stops. Again, you can simply observe this.

C

spkennyuk

Well, I assume then that since birds pre-date humans, there would have been a need for some sort of bird-scarer as soon as humans moved away from gathering berries etc and started farming. That's quite a while ago...

I meant in terms of pre mechanisation. Something else was used before scarecrows but as they say necessity is the mother of invention.

spkennyuk

Well the Japanese have used bamboo and water to scare birds for a long old time

C

I'm going to have to clarify the question a little. Your right version of scarecrows have been around since ancient Egyptian times. The question should really be :-

Scarecrows as we known them in this country today were invented as a result of a specific event. What was that event and what were we using before ?