Question of the day

No,
He (they) moved to USA in an effort to avoid WW1 and eventually settled in California where he was asked to make a particular thing which became his invention.

Spot on mate, a bit more information. Some of his brothers left LA for Chicaggy. He remained and carried on. One of the company's they formed took its name from an amalgamation of the family name and siblings. The invention became known as this name. The original invention(s) in the 1930's are worth £thousands and other companies copied the design which is still made today in large numbers.

Well Time's up for QoD
So I award the next one to either Spartacus (who I think knows it) or Catman for being close.
John Dopyera was asked to make a loud guitar that could be heard during the Vaudeville period. He was already an accomplished Violin maker etc. the guitar had to be heard above an orchestra or band. So he came up with the Resonator Guitar a metal bodied guitar with a metal cone inside which vibrates when the strings a struck. He used 3 small resonator cones at first and then went to one cone. He and some of his brothers founded Do Bro the amalgamation of the family name an Brothers. One type of guitar became known as Dobro in its own right.
p1_uqcxlctrs_ss.jpg
and a single cone
WP_20180917_006.jpg

Navcorr

So purely by chance, and "more a*se than class", violins were close.
Other than being 200 years and a plastic cover too soon. Oh well, on to the next :smile:

CatmanV2

Wow. That I didn't know. I think Sparts was probably closer. Mine was pseudo educated music based guessing.

C