Question of the day

allandwf

I think Catman may be right, it's the wrong coast for me as Viking and Forties are the ones of interest to me.

CatmanV2

Sorry for the delay all. Hope this is not to easy:
What's the link between James Heriott and Henry VIII

C

CatmanV2

Intriguing range of responses, but, to the best of my knowledge, very wrong.

Let me know when to start dropping some clues. I'm out this evening, so shout soon :)

C

drewf

Robert Hardy?

Played Herriot's brother in the vet thing, and Henry V for sure in a film. Seems likely he played Henry VIII at some time in his career.

CliveP1

Henry VIII's ship the Mary Rose contained warbows, Robert Hardy is an expert on the Longbow and I have his book Longbow and The Great Warbow and he is Trustee of the Royal Armouries at HM Tower of London, and of the Mary Rose Trust. I have 2 longbows and we did meet a guy at a shoot who built a warbow with a 180 pound draw and when you see the guy shoot the bow it goes for a good 380 yards+
plus The Cloth of Gold A specific flight-shot is the “Shot in the Cloth of Gold”, which dates back to the shot that King Henry VIII demonstrated to King François I of France in the field by the same name between the French enclave of Ardres and the English enclave of Guines in Northern France. The measurement is 12 score or 240 yards. we used to try this and and with 70 pound draw bows we just got about half way.

didn't mention the French did I...

drewf

... a guy at a shoot who built a warbow with a 180 pound draw and when you see the guy shoot the bow it goes for a good 380 yards+

Wow!

If I understand this correctly Clive, that means he pulls 180lbs with one hand, while holding the bow in the other? That's plenty impressive - that's more than I weigh. Chapeau!

CliveP1

Wow!

If I understand this correctly Clive, that means he pulls 180lbs with one hand, while holding the bow in the other? That's plenty impressive - that's more than I weigh. Chapeau!

yes thats about right it is pull and release as though you are stretching your arms apart you can't hold it, you would nearly pull your arms out of the sockets plus when they have looked at the bone structure of the bow men some had serious deformed shoulders,

some say King Richard wasn't really a hunchback his favourite weapon was the heavy axe and with hours of practice he became stronger in the shoulder.

in one shoot the English bowman stood on the hill with the french sitting around enjoying there wine and bread plus other things, they could see the english bowman and didn't think they could reach and started making signs and shouting at them, they were wrong and it didn't end well for the French.
there are myths this is were the 2 finger salute came from and the phrase Pluck Yew...

rossyl

Sergeant Riggs, Leathal Weapon 2, a sniper rifle, a very bad guy working for an apartheid supporting Saouth African?

I'm guessing I am wrong, with exception to it being a type of sniper rifle. :)

CliveP1

Sergeant Riggs, Leathal Weapon 2, a sniper rifle, a very bad guy working for an apartheid supporting Saouth African?

I'm guessing I am wrong, with exception to it being a type of sniper rifle. :)

like your way of thinking, if I tell you the record in 1967 was 1.4miles.