Question of the day

zagatoes30

You're all close but not there yet so here is the info so far

Full question: What have Hertfordshire Rangers, Harrow Chequers, 1st Surrey Rifles, Oxford University, Cambridge University, Barnes Club, Sheffield Wednesday, Notts County & Crystal Palace all got in common. There are no other teams that meet the criteria.

Info to date:

They are all early football teams but there were others so that is not the link. Neither FA Cup or Leagues are the link for the same reason
The event that connects them had an opposing side
If I asked the question for the opposing side there would be no other team other than Queens Park in the list

StuartW

Was it a Scotland vs England game maybe between the winners of each national league, Queens Park being the one from Scotland on every occasion?

GeoffCapes

I think remember this from an old Shoot Annual I had (might even be in the loft) from when the FA were 100 or something.

Was it a case of English teams wanting to play against the Scottish (bit like what Stuart has said), but they never received a response from the Glasgow and Edinburgh teams.

Queens Park did as they had London based players. So they ended up playing just Queens Park.
But they kind of called them internationals even though they were individual teams playing one Scottish team.

zagatoes30

Near enough. These were the teams that first Official England team were taken from for the first recognised international against Scotland. Scotland selected all their players from Queens Park.

Needless to say even then England still failed and played out a goal-less draw.

Your go