Question of the day

OK Time is up
According to Radio 4, there are 58 countries that still use Capital Punishment (I cannot name them!)

So over to SPK

spkennyuk

This question is probably too easy but here goes.

Since charts began in 1952 how many UK xmas number 1 singles / songs have been xmas number 1 more than once ? That includes cover versions of the same songs.

How many songs involved and what were the song names ?

You can name the artists if you want.

zagatoes30

Well three come to mind initially

Marys Boy Child - Harry Belafonte & Boney M
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen both times
Do they know its Christmas - 3 times Band Aid, Band Aid 2 & Band Aid 20

Another possible is Only You by Yazoo & The Flying Pickets, pretty sure one of them got to No 1 at Christmas but don't know if they both did

spkennyuk

Well three come to mind initially

Marys Boy Child - Harry Belafonte & Boney M
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen both times
Do they know its Christmas - 3 times Band Aid, Band Aid 2 & Band Aid 20

Another possible is Only You by Yazoo & The Flying Pickets, pretty sure one of them got to No 1 at Christmas but don't know if they both did

Spot on on all counts Andy. Only you only got to number one for the flying pickets only not Yazoo in 1983. Band Aid having their first of the three do they know its Christmas in 1984.

On a side note only 2 bands have had 3 consecutive xmas number one singles. The Beatles and The Spice girls.

Over to you Andy.

zagatoes30

Change of subject, who was the last driver to become WRC Champion in a 2WD car, what was the year and what was his car?

Navcorr

To state the bleedin' obvious it would have to be a pre-Quattro car. Early 80s.
Car & driver - no idea. Year - 82 or 83?

zagatoes30

To state the bleedin' obvious it would have to be a pre-Quattro car. Early 80s.
Car & driver - no idea. Year - 82 or 83?

Correct that was bleedin' obvious so who, what & when - too early for multiple choice answers so pick a year and I will tell you if you are right or wrong :)

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I'll go for a Sunbeam Lotus, driven by the late, great Henri Toivonen in 1981 at a guess. I followed it round the country for 5 days with a mate in a Vauxhall FE VX 4/90. That's when the RAC was an all day and night affair with unseen stages, not the low-fat version of today.

zagatoes30

I'll go for a Sunbeam Lotus, driven by the late, great Henri Toivonen in 1981 at a guess. I followed it round the country for 5 days with a mate in a Vauxhall FE VX 4/90. That's when the RAC was an all day and night affair with unseen stages, not the low-fat version of today.

Great combination but incorrect on all counts but Talbot did win the manufacturers title in that year. Toivonen alas never did, the S4 arrived too late in 85 although went it did it was awesome. 86 should have been his year but unfortunately he was killed in Corsica bringing the end to the Group B cars

zagatoes30

Lancia 037 was the last 2wd car to win the manufacturers but not the drivers championship. in fact surprisingly no driver every won the WRC championship in a 037 or a Delta S4

GeoffCapes

Lancia 037 was the last 2wd car to win the manufacturers but not the drivers championship. in fact surprisingly no driver every won the WRC championship in a 037 or a Delta S4

In that case it would have been the year before which was an Opel Ascona.
Which if memory serves me correctly was also driven by Walter Rohrl.

It was a rubbish Top Trumps card as well if I remember correctly.
But obviously the whole package was good.

zagatoes30

In that case it would have been the year before which was an Opel Ascona.
Which if memory serves me correctly was also driven by Walter Rohrl.

It was a rubbish Top Trumps card as well if I remember correctly.
But obviously the whole package was good.

Correct Walter Rohrl in the Opel Ascona 400 in 1982. It might have been a rubbish Top Trump card but the Ascona 400 was one **** of a car although in 1982 Audi took its first manufacturers title and the end of 2wd dominance was coming to an end.

Over to you Mark