Question of the day

JonW

A silly one as I'm filling up on pastis as the moment. Henry Beard's "Official Exceptions To The Rules Of Golf - Titanium Edition" allows even the worst golfer to successfully complete.

For example, a free drop may be taken after a tee shot when, and only when, the divot in flight out distances the ball in play. Each official exception is named accordingly and so in what circumstances would you be able to claim a "Nixon".

Well you did ask :smile:

What a brilliant question!

Is it that it's absolutely fine to lie blatantly about your score and your handicap, and to pretend you didn't know your team mates were also cheating, as long you quit the game at the very last minute and don't actually submit your scorecard?

Navcorr

What a brilliant question!

Is it that it's absolutely fine to lie blatantly about your score and your handicap, and to pretend you didn't know your team mates were also cheating, as long you quit the game at the very last minute and don't actually submit your scorecard?

I think you'd enjoy the book - there are some crackers. For example, when all 4 playing partners hit duffers and mutually agree re-teeing. This is a "Mass Mulligan".

Although your answer is in the right "spirit" of a Nixon the circumstances you've described fall short of what would qualify for relief. :smile:

JonW

I think you'd enjoy the book - there are some crackers. For example, when all 4 playing partners hit duffers and mutually agree re-teeing. This is a "Mass Mulligan".

Although your answer is in the right "spirit" of a Nixon the circumstances you've described fall short of what would qualify for relief. :smile:

I've googled the book (but not the answer) and am going to buy the book as a gift for my golf-playing, handicap hustling, brother.

Is a Nixon that its ok to use sticky tape to guide your ball into the hole, or prevent an opponent's ball from going into the hole, as long as you remove the sticky tape afterwards?

Navcorr

I've googled the book (but not the answer) and am going to buy the book as a gift for my golf-playing, handicap hustling, brother.

Is a Nixon that its ok to use sticky tape to guide your ball into the hole, or prevent an opponent's ball from going into the hole, as long as you remove the sticky tape afterwards?

Another good guess but afraid not. The Nixon can also be referred to as "The Deniable Ball".

If your Brother is that proficient at bending the rules another alternative may be worth considering "How to Win at Golf: Without Actually Playing Well". Essentially a collection of case studies where an in depth knowledge of the rules can be used to penalise your opponent against his will. In other words how to drag the opponent down to your own level :)

JonW

Another good guess but afraid not. The Nixon can also be referred to as "The Deniable Ball".

Interesting - I would have thought "The Deniable Ball" would have been called a Clinton.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman...

I did smoke weed, but I did not inhale...

Navcorr

Please accept a bonus point for offering sound reasoning to the matter in hand. Whether that be a cigar at the time of writing or otherwise :smile:

spkennyuk

Is it where they get some relief in the bunkers from their female caddy. While somebody mounts a dirty tricks campaign against the other players. :)

Navcorr

I like your train of thought sir - not just a devious mind but apparently a filthy one too :biggrin:

Sadly not though. A good example of what a Nixon ball should be came during the match between James Bond & Auric Goldfinger.

Navcorr

Is it when you find a ball, any ball other than your own, and claim it as yours?

You're along the right lines in so far as making a scurrilous attempt at "getting away with it". As the official exception is very specific, and therefore almost impossible to guess, I'm inclined to give it to you. With your permission kind sir could we let this run a while longer - for no other reason than to discover what other deviant thoughts are put forward :)

Navcorr

With approx. 6-7 hrs of driving today perhaps best to pass to Caldy sooner rather than later.

The general principle of the Nixon Ball involves some form of cheating which at first you might have appeared to have gotten away with only to be rumbled later on and be penalised accordingly.

Specifically - Exception 12:

If, owing to the unreasonable proximity of condominiums or other occupied dwelling along the boundary of a course, a player shall, upon making a wayward tee shot, hear a splinterrng, cracking or shattering sound, or some similarly alarming or worrisome noise, he may at once declare his ball "unadvisable to play" and immediately tee up and put into play in its place an "expedient ball" without assessing a stroke or incurring a penalty. However, during the remainder of his play on that hole, the player must behave as if his earlier misdirected shot never took place, and if he sees the affected homeowner or is confronted by him and betrays any awareness whatsoever that the mishap occurred, either by a verbal expression of apology or regret or a physical gesture indicating frustration, embarrassment or disconfiture, then the stroke for his original errant drive shall be counted and all applicable penalties shall be assessed.

midlifecrisis

Here's a quick question.

What is the total number of footballs that appear on the badges of all the teams in this year's English Premier League. I'll give the answer when Caldy returns.