Cheap Leasing

outrun

I got this one through today too. Shame I don't want one but if I was looking for a top notch daily for cheap money, it's got to be the best deal on the market. Peanuts for a £35k car.

There must be a few build slots unallocated and mega discounts from the manufacturer to make that work.

Get a dark blue one. Subtle as.

conaero

Forum Owner
How does that work in simple terms for a thick bloke!!!

I run 2 companies, one as a sole trader, the other as a LTD.

I buy the car through the self employed company so I dont pay company car tax. The self employed company pays MRE (motor running expenses) fuel, RFL, insurance, repairs etc.

I then charge to car at 43p a mile via the LTD so i get a tax rebate on that.

Both companies are VAT registered so i pay 95p a litre for the fuel then claim 43p a mile back too. Its all legal.

D Walker

I run 2 companies, one as a sole trader, the other as a LTD.

I buy the car through the self employed company so I dont pay company car tax. The self employed company pays MRE (motor running expenses) fuel, RFL, insurance, repairs etc.

I then charge to car at 43p a mile via the LTD so i get a tax rebate on that.

Both companies are VAT registered so i pay 95p a litre for the fuel then claim 43p a mile back too. Its all legal.

Thanks for that, I only have the ltd company.

CatmanV2

Interesting. Won't the VAT de register you if you don't put enough through the business?

VAT registration is voluntary below whatever the threshold is. My company hasn't done more than about £1500 a year of late. No de-registration has occurred.

C

conaero

Forum Owner
Certain some stunning deals round at the moment i am still considering the Golf R estate deal. Waiting for price for satnav and leather seats.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I looked into the Golf R when it cropped up the other week. I went to see my local VW dealer and asked, one, if he could beat it, to which he said 'yes'. Secondly, what's the catch, he said '25 mpg real world'. I decided against it on that alone.

drewf

Interesting.

Having a Ghibli for a couple of days next week on test, as a potential replacement for the 5-series.

There are posters at the MD saying lease deals at something like £430, but I've already been told by the 'Brand Manager' that the advertised numbers are very negotiable.

drewf

I looked into the Golf R when it cropped up the other week. I went to see my local VW dealer and asked, one, if he could beat it, to which he said 'yes'. Secondly, what's the catch, he said '25 mpg real world'. I decided against it on that alone.

As I understand it, very similar engine to Susie's S3. That's quoted at a laughable 42mpg, and yes, 25 is much closer to reality.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well thats me out then, how can they claim 42 mpg on mixed cycle then return nearly half. Fiat did it with the twinair 500 too.

They must have ex FIFA employees working in the maths mileage department!

Back to a turbo diesel.

drewf

It has umpteen different engine/driving modes, and only one of them has a hope of getting near the 40mpg territory. That mode changes up the gearbox faster than you can think. It's in 6th gear within a few yards of setting off, then doesn't really want to come back down. Naturally, it's not what you might call responsive in that mode - as far as I can tell, it's only there to make the official mpg figures; no S3 buyer would really want to use it. If they did, then surely there's a more suitable model in the range - same sort of high-spec toys, but a cheaper engine and insurance.

outrun

I'm still on the Ghibli hunt too Drew. So far i've been offered £1k off the deposit on the lease deal with my spec car being about £570 per month on a 3 year 6+35 deal. They called this morning actually and I told them to go and try harder, we'll see what happens!

In comparison, i've also looked at buying one which is actually quite similar, around £50 per month more only. I have a great finance guy that gets top rates and of course that means I could negotiate a discount on the car I choose. I've been looking at both diesels and the V6 which I think may be the better car. I only do 10k miles a year commuting so the difference between real word 38mpg inthe diesel and 28mpg in the petrol is not that much in reality, maybe £50-75 a month in fuel more.

I'm now trying to establish whether buying is a good idea which, of course, it only is if there's some retained value at the end of the term. The lease comes with little hassle, you just hand it back. Buying is more about whether i'd see some of my investment still there after a few years. It's also about finding better spec as there are a few top spec petrol cars around for the same money as a diesel.

Watch this space...

bigbob

Certain some stunning deals round at the moment i am still considering the Golf R estate deal. Waiting for price for satnav and leather seats.

Bet you it's the cost of the items divided by 24.

Whilst these leasing deals are cheap if you want to keep a car a short period of time if you bought it and kept it four years rather than a two year lease then the annual costs would be a lot less. All depends how long you want to keep a car.

bigbob

We get 28mpg out of our S3 and that's a few years old now. The newer engine is bound to be better.

bigbob

Interesting.

Having a Ghibli for a couple of days next week on test, as a potential replacement for the 5-series.

There are posters at the MD saying lease deals at something like £430, but I've already been told by the 'Brand Manager' that the advertised numbers are very negotiable.

Not many people 'buy' £50-60k saloons so that makes sense.

drewf

Useful info Athol. I'll update you on what they offer after I've driven it. I've told them that I'll only spend time seriously talking money after I've had the car for a good drive, otherwise if I don't really like it there's no point wasting our time. That said, I've laid the ground about the numbers having to be written with a much sharper pencil than they are advertising.

For me it doesn't matter whether it's leased or purchased - all that is happening is there's a cost to 'owning' a car for say 2 or 3 years. In one case it's the difference between purchase and sales price, in the other it's the cost of the lease over that period. Either way, that's the real cost of the car. Trouble is, we don't know what a 3 year old Ghibli will be worth....