The good morning thread

Andyk

Bloody **** its windy here....Matt would imagine they will shut the one bridge today so will expect you a little later.

2b1ask1

Special case
Morning all, a lucky escape Peter; you need to use it more! The ladies weekend rolls on, great meal last night but bar prices are through the roof! More than that they are only willing to charge it to your room so there is no real check on spend which I do not like.

Have fun all...

outrun

Morning, yawn. Last day of freedom before my lot arrive back from a week away in Northern Ireland. I've enjoyed the peace and quiet as well as the place being tidy but it will be nice to have them back. I get a lot more work done when I'm not distracted !

midlifecrisis

Good Morning everyone, not been on for a while. Completed on the bungalow yesterday, just waiting for the money to come through...had a look at a few houses yesterday again after withdrawing my offer on a place. The owner and estate agent have dropped their offer to me by 50k already, but it needs a builder to be honest to do the reconstruct the roof, rewire, damp course, new boiler and heating system, kitchen, bathroom, staircases, rerender the rear walls, put in insulation in the cavity, re-felt the flat roofs, replaster inside and redecorate...so not much then.

Any builders or persons of that ilk on here?

midlifecrisis

Newton, didn't you put a lift into your garage? What Height is required? Saw a house yesterday and part of the garage is around 2.5m the 'back part' is around 2.2m just wondering if I can get a single/two post lift in or go for a scissor jack type...The rest of the place was alright...

rockits

Won't be enough height if you want to stand up. I have 13ft which is tons but you need height of car plus height of person as minimum ideally. Unless you want to work on your ar5e or a chair/trolley or laying down.

It is OK if you are just using it a bit to make wheel, break or suspension work easier. Then I would suspect a scissor style lift would be most suitable.

midlifecrisis

Won't be enough height if you want to stand up. I have 13ft which is tons but you need height of car plus height of person as minimum ideally. Unless you want to work on your ar5e or a chair/trolley or laying down.

It is OK if you are just using it a bit to make wheel, break or suspension work easier. Then I would suspect a scissor style lift would be most suitable.

Yes, I was looking at the scissor lift solution, which would be good enough for the 'amateur' as I could safely get underneath and do most jobs if not all. When I was at Bournemouth Airport I was also in charge of the motor mechanics and one was 'vertically challenged' so as a laugh the other mechanic who was a good six footer, used to raise the vehicle higher...the first one was then unable to reach the car...you had to be there...

JonW

Morning all from Captiva,

Another day of shell hunting, dolphin watching, and lying by the pool awaits...

Hope you all have a great Saturday!

2b1ask1

Special case
As Rockets says Martin, need > 13' to be able to get the car to a dame net height. I'm a little challenged with mine but it is good enough for what I do. Go for a scissor lift.

rockits

Morning all from Captiva,

Another day of shell hunting, dolphin watching, and lying by the pool awaits...

Hope you all have a great Saturday!
Is that North Captiva Island off the west coast of Florida? I'm sure I went there on a family holiday when I was a younger after going to Disney World for 2 weeks first. No motor vehicles, only cart buggies & boat to/from mainland. Around 200 odd people on whole island.

Or did I get that spectacularly wrong?

JonW

Is that North Captiva Island off the west coast of Florida? I'm sure I went there on a family holiday when I was a younger after going to Disney World for 2 weeks first. No motor vehicles, only cart buggies & boat to/from mainland. Around 200 odd people on whole island.

Or did I get that spectacularly wrong?

Almost - North Captiva is exactly as you describe, and the only way you can get there is by a light aircraft, or by boat. Many of the houses there are off the grid, and everyone either drives a golf cart or rides around on bike.

North Captiva is separated from the main Captiva Island by Redfish pass, which was created back in the 20s by a Hurricane (Charley I think). We are staying on the very northern tip of Captiva, overlooking Redfish Pass (see pic below)...

Attachments

• AE81C14F-BFCF-4B74-83D5-A326FDE1C971.jpg
    AE81C14F-BFCF-4B74-83D5-A326FDE1C971.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 33

rockits

Almost - North Captiva is exactly as you describe, and the only way you can get there is by a light aircraft, or by boat. Many of the houses there are off the grid, and everyone either drives a golf cart or rides around on bike.

North Captiva is separated from the main Captiva Island by Redfish pass, which was created back in the 20s by a Hurricane (Charley I think). We are staying on the very northern tip of Captiva, overlooking Redfish Pass (see pic below)...
Wow....very nice. I loved it. The kind of place I would certainly have a holiday home. Your own private beach...not many people....not spoilt.

Enjoy. Is this a one off trip or have you been there before or go there often?

Andyk

Good morning all....so the Brera left wing th it's new owner yesterday. I hope they have more luck with it than I did. so Jaguar going back in the week so left with my wife's 2001 325i ...... 81k on the clock a has never let her down and flied through a recent MOTbwith no advisory....Probably worth £600 but more reliable (touch wood) than cars costing a shed load more.

philw696

Morning Andy good cars those E46 BMW certainly a lot of car for the money and old school RWD.
Onwards and upwards for the future mate.