Out of a boy's toy and into a man's machine!

Sham83

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps.

The Maserati is pure class, very different to what I'm used to in the Lotus, but it's not satisfying driving it around Central London at an average 6mph and 8mpg, even though it sounds phenomenal!

I'm hoping to take it for a blast out of town soon so let me know if you can recommend any good driving roads. I hear Essex area is great and fairly easy for me to get to from Tower Bridge.

Sham83

just to share my woes...barely had it 2 weeks and I have already scraped the rear rim on a high kerb coming out of my tight underground parking space. gonna cost me 100 odd quid to respray I think. add to that the 8mpg I am getting stuck in city traffic, I may need to find a second job!

I haven't even had a chance to open her up yet but looking forward to heading out of London next weekend into the country so hopefully I can share some more positive tales...I need to learn how to drive a big car first, my pride (and my wallet) has been bruised :(

G

Guest 1678

just to share my woes...barely had it 2 weeks and I have already scraped the rear rim on a high kerb coming out of my tight underground parking space. gonna cost me 100 odd quid to respray I think. add to that the 8mpg I am getting stuck in city traffic, I may need to find a second job!

I haven't even had a chance to open her up yet but looking forward to heading out of London next weekend into the country so hopefully I can share some more positive tales...I need to learn how to drive a big car first, my pride (and my wallet) has been bruised :(

Sham - welcome to the forum.

As for the scrape - we have all done it. I can vouch that many of us on the forum have dinged the odd alloy, body panel, bumper ...

At least you are driving the car and she is not a garage queen. Just think about the weekend when you find out what the car is like in its true environment.

StuartW

Indeed, all will be forgotten with the sport button pressed and windows down - enjoy the weekend

Sham83

After a run of recent depressing threads I have started (scraping wheel, leaky gasket, bits falling off) I thought I'd share some more positive experiences. This weekend was the first time I took the GTS out of the city since buying it and went for a drive on some country roads outside of London. All I can say is, wow! This car is a total beast but an absolute beauty to drive. The power delivtery, response and handling are amazing for such a big and heavy car, and yet so comfortable and refined- very easy to drive fast. It's a completely different proposition to my previous Exige, two worlds apart. I only gave it half beans as it scares the sh!t out of me as still getting used to her characteristics. I forgot to mention the noise is like the God of thunder, but do I really need to remind people here ;)

Steve GS

I love the good stories. Just look at your Maserati as your mistress. She will cost you lots put a big smile on your face. But you haven't got anything to be guilty about. So you can turn her on as much as your wallet lets you. Have fun and enjoy.

StuartW

I'm pleased to hear that you're smitten, they're a real delight, and I hope that you continue to enjoy it

BigR

After a run of recent depressing threads I have started (scraping wheel, leaky gasket, bits falling off) I thought I'd share some more positive experiences. This weekend was the first time I took the GTS out of the city since buying it and went for a drive on some country roads outside of London. All I can say is, wow! This car is a total beast but an absolute beauty to drive. The power delivtery, response and handling are amazing for such a big and heavy car, and yet so comfortable and refined- very easy to drive fast. It's a completely different proposition to my previous Exige, two worlds apart. I only gave it half beans as it scares the sh!t out of me as still getting used to her characteristics. I forgot to mention the noise is like the God of thunder, but do I really need to remind people here ;)

Interested that you had an Exige before. This is something that I've half-considered and would be interested in your thoughts about it, ownership, issues with it (if any!)...

Sham83

Sorry for the late response, just got back from holiday. The Exige was a joy to own (I had the S2). Very low maintenance costs and a lot of bang for your buck. Very easy to drive near the limit (but can be terrifying at times!) and never failed to put a smile on my face. It turned heads as much as, if not more than, the maserati and I think I got a more positive response overall from people. Obviously it lacks creature comforts and daily practicality but as a weekend toy it is ideal. Nothing ever went wrong mechanically in the 8 years that I owned it which says a lot although I did pretty low mileage on it.

Andyk

Agree with your comments...Mine was faultless for the couple of years I had a S2....Only difference for me was it was my only car so daily transport.

Sham83

okay, so I finally get my car back this weekend (for real this time, I hope!). it's been in the garage for 3 weeks now getting work done and in the meantime my status has managed to go from newbie to a senior member it seems. I don't feel worthy as I've hardly had possession of the thing since ownership :/ anyway, I know some pic postings are well overdue now and I am looking forward to taking some (almost as much as driving it) so hopefully it doesn't rain this weekend! look forward to earning my new status!

BenzDriver

okay, so I finally get my car back this weekend (for real this time, I hope!). it's been in the garage for 3 weeks now getting work done and in the meantime my status has managed to go from newbie to a senior member it seems. I don't feel worthy as I've hardly had possession of the thing since ownership :/ anyway, I know some pic postings are well overdue now and I am looking forward to taking some (almost as much as driving it) so hopefully it doesn't rain this weekend! look forward to earning my new status!

Best of luck fella! I Will have mine soon enough! When I do your local so well have to meet up and put em together one time...ill bring my photographer and get some lovely shots! Then go find some tunnels!

But enjoy her when she's back!

Dyer3200

Best of luck fella! I Will have mine soon enough! When I do your local so well have to meet up and put em together one time...ill bring my photographer and get some lovely shots! Then go find some tunnels!

But enjoy her when she's back!

Welcome back - I am also up for a London meet please keep me in the loop

Sham83

Cheers guys. London meet sounds good! Benz, when are you getting your car, you still looking or is it on its way?

StuartW

Glad to hear it, I'm sure it will be well worth the wait and there's still some summer left to enjoy it too

BenzDriver

Cheers guys. London meet sounds good! Benz, when are you getting your car, you still looking or is it on its way?

I'm pretty sure I've found the car now. Basically just a simple process of the car undergoing an inspection some negotiations no doubt, only problem is im swamped all next week and the owner is away on business the next couple weeks after that travelling the states (lucky sod) so it's pretty much confirmed (excluding any unforseen issues) but a few weeks away im afraid, this waiting is always the worst part! Will keep you updated.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I'm sorry to hear about your wait but it means you have plenty of time to think up a new forum name!