Gransport gearbox groans when pulling off in 1st

Swedish Paul

Not always, but definitely when cold. Seems to happen more when in Sports mode. When warmed up, it doesn't happen. Also, wondered if it's because I have just reversed 5m (on the flat!!) out of my drive and then into 1st.

It has been stood a few days.

Don't have any issues with jumping out of gear or such.

Any ideas?

stefanocirillo

Happens to me also. Only on cold. if i let it idle for a bit before pulling away it doesn't happen. Character of the car??

safrane

A groan or more like an owl's hoot? If it is it is the spigot bearing spining on the shaft. No damage and as its a clutch out job to fix save it until you need a clutch as well.

fcz360

Sparky
Ivr just had mine in for the exact same 1st gear hoot thing, i though spigot, vic at Migliore has said that he hears it a lot and its normally around 50% clutch wear, mine is at 48% so he was spot on. According to Vic its not normally the bearing as i thought.

fcz360

Sparky
Hi Frank ,
What does Vic put it down to ?
Phil.

Hi Phil

We had a discussion and on the last few clutches he had changed with the same noise its always been the plate making the noise, as i remember he had one where someone in a 4200 took his car to a dealer to change the spigot bearing, they did and the following week it was back to he went to Vic and a change of clutch stopped it - just an expensive way of doing it!!

safrane

The glazing was pointed out to me by Emblem on my Coupe #1.

They suggested a couple of second gear take off's to slip the clutch to remove some of the polished surface...It did not work on that car and like other once the car was warm it only did it if under heavy engine braking on down shifts.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Another thing that sounds identical to a spigot bearing is the clutch main shaft bearing in the bell housing. Maserati even put a TSB out on it. Two cars I have coming up I have to fix it on, one being my GranSport. I just plan to do it when I change the clutches out in both cars. It doesn't howl all the time but it will eventually get worse. The reason it does it while cold is because the metal contracts in cold, and expands with the heat. The bell housing casing is also aluminum and the out part of the clutch shaft bearing is hardened steel. (Very similar to the dropped valve syndrome of the 5.7 liter HEMIs that have aluminum heads, and steel valve seats). I posted the TSB before but if you guys haven't seen it, it's here below as well.

IMAG1914.jpg

IMAG1915.jpg

IMAG1916.jpg

Just a slight observation on the spigot bearing. The spigot bearing in our cars aren't the solid ones, like brass that were known to stick on the end shaft and slightly let go. The spigot bearing in our cars are like this one below I took out of my Spyder. They have ball bearings that facilitate the rotation of the clutch shaft in the bell housing. They are designed to not do what the solid ones were prone to do. Of course doesn't mean it's always prevented in these cases just less likely.............

IMAG1906.jpg