Wifi

keith

Further to my other post regarding my new Ghibli, another question I am hoping someone can help with relates to the WiFi hotspot that I specified. I can find no information in any literature or indeed any evidence of the option having been fitted to my car. Can anyone shed any light on where the router would be located and how it works.
Thanks in advance,
Regards
Keith

spkennyuk

Hi Keith

If its been fitted to your car the WIFI router / Hot spot isn't active until you insert a sim card into the relevant slot. Then it becomes active. I would have thought it will be in the cabin area. Arm rest or glove box area are the most obvious places. If its a new car then call or email the dealer they should be able to tell you where its located. They should also be able to confirm that it was installed on your car. I've done a bit of searching and can't find the exact location or a manual for you. I will keep looking in the meantime.

The only other place I can think it would be is under or around the info screen. I think there is a SD card slot there so maybe near it.

outrun

Have you searched the owner's manual. Sounds a stupid question but it's not paper and comes in disc form. I assume you have that with yours? If not, let me know, I have it and it's probably very easy to burn a copy.

keith

Many thanks for both the responses. I spoke this morning to a very helpful fellow at Maserati GB. He explained that the device is located under the parcel shelf and really needs to be accessed by the dealer. A Sim card needs to be inserted as I guessed, and then there is a procedure that the dealer has to follow, and then the customer has to register with the provider in order to get it up and running. There are no details provided within any of the literature. So will have to organise a dealer visit armed with a sim card to start the process.
The car being a 16my should have a Siri based system, however also no notification or instructions on how to use, or indeed whether its fitted.
I suppose this is part of the fun of owning a Maserati. However the car itself looks great inside and out, the ride and handling on the one short journey I have done so far is a lot better than previous Jaguar XF - Like many have said the Skyhook makes a massive difference. Once the diesel engine is warmed up, its as refined as that of my previous diesel Jaguar as well. Although I am guessing quietness isn't something that appeals to most on here!!
Regards
Keith

outrun

I'd connect up a 4g sim via GiffGaff for the device. It's cheap and easy to manage. We use one in our Volvo XC60 which also has a hotspot installed.

GhostyDog

How much is that as an option vs just using the hotspot on your phone whilst it's plugged in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
How much is that as an option vs just using the hotspot on your phone whilst it's plugged in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GhostyDog, isn't it about time you got a Maser, its well over 2 years since the rolling road shootout in Leeds!

Maser Sod

Bloody ****, I'd expect a sim card to come with it on a 3yr all you can eat prepaid contract for that.

:(

Too right. If I need wifi in my car - or anywhere - I just flick my iPhone into Personal Hotspot mode.

I think it's poor that Maserati don't provide documentation. How does the user ensure that other 'undesirable' users don't eat up the data allowance? That's part of the router documentation, it won't be provided by the SIM service provider.

keith

I am sure you will all be pleased to hear, my Wifi is now working... It took a couple of hours at Marenello on Saturday morning with part removal of some trim, a sim card - provided by me, and a lot of work with a laptop by the technician.
In answer to your concerns regarding sharing of data use. Someone would have to find the device, log on, and stay within a few feet of my car whilst I'm driving along, so I think I should be ok.
I let you know in due course if its worth the money, and at least it didn't get any bill for Marenello's work, but the Siri function on my 16my car will surely benefit.
By the way the Siri access is more useful than I thought, whilst it doesn't give any visual information, some of the verbal aids have come in handy.
Regards
Keith

conaero

Forum Owner
Use Siri all the time when driving. If its plugged in to a power source, even with the screen on standby, say "Hey Siri" and it wakes up, you can "Send text message to ******" and away you, brilliant and worryingly accurate.

casadalloro

Use Siri all the time when driving. If its plugged in to a power source, even with the screen on standby, say "Hey Siri" and it wakes up, you can "Send text message to ******" and away you, brilliant and worryingly accurate.

Thats grand with your english accent..... Not so good if you are Norn Irish!!!

CatmanV2

Most kind of you to say. In a previous life I was responsible for delivering the back end systems that make Siri work :D

C

CatmanV2

Thats grand with your english accent..... Not so good if you are Norn Irish!!!

It used to be language selectable, as in there were variants for US English, and UK English, for example. That was comparatively simple to implement on the old model. Not sure how it could be done with Siri. We never had a Norn Irish English queue, but were considering a Scots English :)

C

casadalloro

I reckon all of us....norn irish, irish, scottish and welsh are all stuffed with siri... It comes up with complete garbage when i text...

Hello me man and a van off school

To my son.... Hello wee man, ill not be picking you up from school!!!

See useless.......

CatmanV2

I reckon all of us....norn irish, irish, scottish and welsh are all stuffed with siri... It comes up with complete garbage when i text...

Hello me man and a van off school

To my son.... Hello wee man, ill not be picking you up from school!!!

See useless.......

To be fair that's not even English :)

C