Watches again

steamer

Couldn't agree with this more. I can't stand quartz watches.

I've a Seamaster as a daily, a De Ville Chrono dress watch and a Rolex Daytona. Seriously considering swapping out the Daytona for a Day Date but haven't hit my 'targets' yet, so may have to wait a while longer. The dream is to own an AP but there's a serious amount of work to do before I can treat myself to that!

My daily is a seamaster. Daytona cosmographs are selling over list new these days. Still a real classic I reckon.

MrCoop

A decent mechanical watch is much like our maseratis. They need to be worn regularly so that they function properly. I very rarely wear my DeVille, and it loses time compared to my other two watches.

RSM Masser

Now that is well used, not just left in a box except for special occasions - well done!

That is the second bezel - replaced the first one ten years ago at least
No scratches on the glass, it's been to a sandy war zone 3 times, shoved in engines, scuba dived with it (10m max) bashed crashed and generally abused.

Contigo

Sponsor
A decent mechanical watch is much like our maseratis. They need to be worn regularly so that they function properly. I very rarely wear my DeVille, and it loses time compared to my other two watches.

Spot on, watch wonders lol! Heard it all now

RSM Masser

How can you have a watch that doesn't keep time?
That's like having a car that doesn't work.
Oh dear - I have a 3200, currently broken.

Zep

I must confess I am soooo tempted.

Zep has one. It's not a bad thing at all :)

C

Go for it, what's not to like... It keeps time much better than my automatics, except when the battery is flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrCoop

Most mechanical watches don't keep time terribly well

C

Yup, which beggars the question why we pay more for an automatic watch when a quartz keeps time so much better. But there is something so much more romantic about having a mechanical watch. The problem is, high end mechanical watches need to be serviced properly on a regular basis (every 5 years for me) but these services can costs anywhere from £500 upwards. My DeVille is very rarely worn and I can't justify servicing it, hence why it loses time. It's funny looking at peoples faces, when you explain to them that your £6k watch doesn't keep time that well....

CatmanV2

Yup, which beggars the question why we pay more for an automatic watch when a quartz keeps time so much better. But there is something so much more romantic about having a mechanical watch. The problem is, high end mechanical watches need to be serviced properly on a regular basis (every 5 years for me) but these services can costs anywhere from £500 upwards. My DeVille is very rarely worn and I can't justify servicing it, hence why it loses time. It's funny looking at peoples faces, when you explain to them that your £6k watch doesn't keep time that well....

We have them because they are *LOVELY*

C

VMSRTI

Watches have to have proper mechanical movements, IMO - I love the idea of cogs and springs and stuff working together to keep time.

Breitling Chronomat - Alfa Romeo - Circa 1996
Omega Seamaster - Basic Model - Circa 1978
Rolex Oyster Perpetual - Circa 1961

Always looking but the Spyder keeps eating the funds

Totally agree Zag. I have several watches (Pams, Omegas, IWC, Rolex) most are mechanical but tbh 3 are not.

Two were gifts (A Raymond Weil 21st birthday present many moons ago and a Baume&Mercier my wife bought me on a whim. The other non mechanical is my my most accurate watch and one I wear on the farm, swimming, fishing, gardening shark wrestling etc. It is also the cheapest one- a casio protrek!

My least accurate time keeping device is a long case clock built in 1740. But like an old Maserati, which may not be the fastest or handle the best it's just bloody lovely.

We have them because they are *LOVELY*

C

THIS!