Urgent help

ChrisQP09

Have an interview today at 15:00, went to start car and I'm being prompted for a 4 digit code which I have although the screen goes on and off while not allowing me to enter the code.

Is this a flat battery and if so could anyone help with the disconnect procedure or another fix?

Please anyone.

ChrisQP09

I made it to the interview but not with the impression I wanted to give.

Thanks for the reply, the car is not locking remotely now only mechanically. Please advise the correct procedure for recharging / jump starting or should I arrange recovery to bring to dealer?

safrane

Turn the battery off and recharge as normal. Disconnected charging leads then switch the battery on again.

This avoids any 'spike' in the power that may damage any electronic items.

If the battery has losst its charge for no reason (lights left on etc and you have nothing that draws a paricititic chqrge) then the battery may now be passed its best.

conaero

Forum Owner
Turn the battery off and recharge as normal. Disconnected charging leads then switch the battery on again.

This avoids any 'spike' in the power that may damage any electronic items.

If the battery has losst its charge for no reason (lights left on etc and you have nothing that draws a paricititic chqrge) then the battery may now be passed its best.

Seconded. Any large voltage through the system has been know to blow diodes that are in the loom and cause engine lights to come on. Safest to turn the battery off, disconnect the earth if you want to be extra safe and never use a jump pack to start the car.

ChrisQP09

I haven't got a battery conditioner/recharger. Would a recovery service be able to assist without jumping it? If a picture illustration of how to turn battery off is available, that would be great.

Trev Latter

They should be able to charge your battery from their vehicle once it's been disconnected. They'll probably moan at having to do it, but it's the safest way for your car. A jump pack is much safer than jump leads on another running vehicle so far as power surges are concerned, but in either case, better to switch battery off/ disconnect before connecting anything. It's wise to ascertain the cause of the flat battery too, as mentioned above.

ChrisQP09

They should be able to charge your battery from their vehicle once it's been disconnected. They'll probably moan at having to do it, but it's the safest way for your car. A jump pack is much safer than jump leads on another running vehicle so far as power surges are concerned, but in either case, better to switch battery off/ disconnect before connecting anything. It's wise to ascertain the cause of the flat battery too, as mentioned above.

Is it a big thing to disconnect the battery? I would need a picture if I was to do it myself.

Trev Latter

I don't know about the QP, but my 3200 has a switch on the battery positive (factory fitted, I believe). Does it mention it in the owners handbook?

hodroyd

Find the battery in the boot and disconnect the cables on the top..!! Do you have an owners manual for the car, this will show you where the battery is..??

ChrisQP09

Recharging the battery

States: Deactivate the electronic alarm system using the remote. (This is fine)

then open the luggage compartment and remove the panel on the right hand side, then disconnect the electric system terminals from the battery poles. (Is this disconnecting the battery? it does not show any images)

Connect recharger cables ?? to battery poles > Switch on recharger > when battery recharged, turn off recharger before disconnecting it from battery > reconnect the terminals to the battery poles, obsevering the polarity?

PS: I'm now getting "Electrical System Failure - Visit Dealer" and a host of abs lights etc.

Hi Chris
You and I are suffering similar battery problems
Lets pool our knowledge / problems

My battery was as flat as a proverbial this a.m. I realised when only the mechanical door open was working
I did not start the car but put the ignition on and had EPB failure
I mechanically opened the boot (key) and took away the lining on the RHS to get access to the battery
I put the charger onto the posts (while still in situ) and could only get my charger to the 6v option. After about 10 mins I could select 12 v option on the charger and it is charging now
I know it is charging because the boot light came on presumably when there were enough volts whizzing about
The EPB warning light has gone away and I have ordered a new battery from Euro for tomorrow (£100)
My next problem will be removing the tray on the +ive terminal some how in order to get the old battery out and new one in
I think this tray can be disconnected and come out with the battery
I believe drewf may be able to help here??
So that is where I am, how about you?

ChrisQP09

Hi Chris
You and I are suffering similar battery problems
Lets pool our knowledge / problems

My battery was as flat as a proverbial this a.m. I realised when only the mechanical door open was working
I did not start the car but put the ignition on and had EPB failure
I mechanically opened the boot (key) and took away the lining on the RHS to get access to the battery
I put the charger onto the posts (while still in situ) and could only get my charger to the 6v option. After about 10 mins I could select 12 v option on the charger and it is charging now
I know it is charging because the boot light came on presumably when there were enough volts whizzing about
The EPB warning light has gone away and I have ordered a new battery from Euro for tomorrow (£100)
My next problem will be removing the tray on the +ive terminal some how in order to get the old battery out and new one in
I think this tray can be disconnected and come out with the battery
I believe drewf may be able to help here??
So that is where I am, how about you?

Similar situation. Only difference is I have nothing to charge the battery with, what are you using Dave? I have not driven the car since a test drive on Monday. Do you know how I can disconnect battery from terminals, I'm not sure what is where and the book tells me to observe polarity, like wtf ? I'm not even sure how I can get it to the dealer if the car won't move to go onto a flatbed!

I am using a CTEK (under a different name) trickle charger from Lidl
It is great
I do not disconnect the battery to put the charger on, simply (1st) attach the +ive clip on the charger lead to the lead/clamp on the +ive terminal of the battery and the same for the -ive
The -ive one is easy access is good
The +ive one is more difficult because the tray with all the distribution wires sits above it
So you have to reach in towards the rear wing and bend your hand back to get the clip onto the battery lead at the +ive terminal

ChrisQP09

Find the battery in the boot and disconnect the cables on the top..!! Do you have an owners manual for the car, this will show you where the battery is..??

Which cables are they? I am a complete novice on this stuff. Even a picture circled would be a massive help. If I done do, leave for 20min and reconnect would this maybe work?

Wack61

You should replace the battery for £100, it could cost you a sale if there's warning lights coming on when you're trying to start it on a test drive.

Typical it happens when you're selling it

When I sold the XK the guy moved the drivers seat and the fuse blew , 4 years I had that car and that didn't happen once ' luckily it was just damp and a new fuse cured it.

You need an optimate , they discharge and recharge constantly simulating normal driving to keep the battery in good condition, if it's been completely drained flat it's probably knackered but an optimate may recover it

They're made for bikes but I've left mine on my 90 all winter without a problem

http://www.optimate.co.uk/about optimate.htm