Back boxes removal

Fran

Soon I will be looking to remove the original rear boxes and replace them with straight through...exciting!!! I had a quick look underneath and the space to work is limited. I know I will need to cover the pipes with some rags to avoid scratching the bumper paint.

1) How difficult if to remove them?
2) Do I need to remove the bumper or something else to get access?
3) Are they fixed with 4 bolts? What if the new pipes have got a arm as per picture? Do I need a rubber band or they attach to the existing fitting?

F

CatmanV2

Bumper off is not essential, but apparently makes things easier.

Those looks like they should attach to the existing hangers.

C

Stewart

Wheels off, arch liners off, cloth over rear bumper,not a big project.cover pipes whilst removing boxes..or buddy to guide them out.

Fran

or perhaps these will be easier to fit? These from Quicksilver seem to have the same bolts then the original boxes

Both kindly offered by forum members.

As said in another discussion tailor made ones are about 350£ while ready made ones cost according to the official list price around 1000£

FM

Hexadex

or perhaps these will be easier to fit? These from Quicksilver seem to have the same bolts then the original boxes

Both kindly offered by forum members.

As said in another discussion tailor made ones are about 350£ while ready made ones cost according to the official list price around 1000£

FM
That's a picture of my floor, they sounded very nice but no valves so loud all the time, I ended up with Benny's excellent conversion to back boxes and SMs own X pipe.

Fran

I had a good look under my car. The back boxes are fitted with the standard black rubber bits as any normal car. The difference from a normal car is the arms that is attacked to the black rubber. They are bolted on the boxes with a two 13mm (need to check) bolt each side . Actually this should make the dismantling procedure much easier so I might bee able to do it myself with a the spare wheel jack to get a little bit more space underneath the car. Let's hope I do get squeezed under my car!

The clamps on the boxes seems new so it should not be difficult to take them off. But on one side the space to unbolt the bolts connected to the arm is very limited plus even if the bolts come off the might not detach easily from the remaining pipes.

As suggested by Stewart above I might have to take off the back wheels and the arch liners to gain a little bit more space.

FM

2b1ask1

Special case
It is easiest to jack up both sides of the back of the car, absolutely do not get under there without axle stands at the very least as you will be pulling the car about and 2 ton of metal will not sit easily on your noggin if it falls!

Rear wheel removal does help but at the very least you need to partially remove the rear arch liners to access the outer end bolts on the boxes (x 2 each), I find it easier to remove the cross brace from the two pipes by the gearbox, noting the shims and positions. This allows the pipes to be separated from the boxes more easily. The last worry is then the remaining mount on the back of the boxes, a 1/4" socket set with a universal coupling (bendy one) and a stubby wring spanner make this not too onerous. As others have said, protect the paint on the bumper either with masking tape or cloth when removing the boxes.

Good luck...

Rick1008

20180414_152814.jpg

I managed to get the old boxes off, but can't seem to get the new ones on properly. I think they need to push into the pipe further as the mounts don't line up. Any tips?

miket

The pipe on the box looks to be out of shape and closed up, make sure it's not and opened, clean both mating surfaces with scotchbrite and apply some exhaust joint sealing compound to the male part of the joint once the fit is better.
You could even apply heat to the box flange to expand it for an easier fit, lots of perseverance and swearing!