Loud BANG! - no drive - lots of clonking!

RSM Masser

Returning from a nice day out at Hever Castle - gave the old girl a bit beans as exiting a roundabout near home and ......., BANG!! Clonk clonk rattle etc , managed to roll into a convenient lay at and sitting waiting for the RAC.
On inspection of the road I found these - which look suspiciously like the centre props shaft bolts - 1 quite obviously snapped - the other minus a nut

Car is a 2001 3200 auto I have read the centre bearing can be a weak spot, hopefully not too expensive or difficult to repair

Been passed by 3 GS's while waiting for tow truck, not so much as a wave!!!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
That's really unfortunate. I hope it's a quick and easy fix and here's hoping there's no damage underneath. Fingers crossed.

philw696

That's really unfortunate. I hope it's a quick and easy fix and here's hoping there's no damage underneath. Fingers crossed.

I think someone has hacked Ian's account better get the moderators on the case.

RSM Masser

Still waiting for the RAC - 3 hours so far, and after a phone rant probably another 3 to wait.
Can't see any damage under neath - it's not easy to see, I wasn't going fast probably about 30mph and rolled to a stop quickly
Engine runs and makes no noise when in drive (it doesn't go anywhere mind!) when I rolled it back there was a few clonks,
Only had an MOT last week

Trev Latter

At a guess, I'd say it's probably the flexi coupling/donut on the back end of the gearbox/front of propshaft that's broken up. Not too bad a job to do.

2b1ask1

Special case
That's not nice to see or hear about; hope you sort it easily and quickly...

philw696

Still waiting for the RAC - 3 hours so far, and after a phone rant probably another 3 to wait.
Can't see any damage under neath - it's not easy to see, I wasn't going fast probably about 30mph and rolled to a stop quickly
Engine runs and makes no noise when in drive (it doesn't go anywhere mind!) when I rolled it back there was a few clonks,
Only had an MOT last week

Thats the problem with the MOT only being a basic visual test and even worse when places charge next to nothing for doing the test.
Did you get any advisory's ?

RSM Masser

At a guess, I'd say it's probably the flexi coupling/donut on the back end of the gearbox/front of propshaft that's broken up. Not too bad a job to do.

I can see the diff / prop end and that is still there
Can't see under the car until I get it home - I am not too worried, should be a relatively easy fix.

To answer another - no I didn't get any advisories, they are supposed to check drivetrain though army they? Not sure it would have picked it up but I have only done less than a 100 miles since the mot

RSM Masser

Well not too bad news, jacked up the rear this evening it's not Propshaft but the half shafts.
ALL the bolts have gone on the offside leaving the CV joint hanging in fresh air - I thought I better check the other side and shock / horror half of them are almost undone!!!

I can't see any other damage the gaiters are all intact - bit of oils and muck visible around the diff, but looks ok, no leaks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bit of a worry really I would urge anyone to check theirs, especially if they have ever noticed a clonk whilst taking up drive, I must admit that recently I have noticed it getting a bit louder

Last edited by a moderator:

Emtee

Flippin' 'eck! Not seen that happen before. Had anyone been in there beforehand? Glad no further damage was done and that's it's an easy enough fix.

Zep

Wow, glad it isn't as bad as it could have been. The rust on the bolts seems to suggest they have been doing it all on their own. I think I'll get the jack out!

zagatoes30

Transaxle Alfas have a habit of undoing these bolts, it is one of my must checks every time any of them are on a ramp.

beau

as soon as i saw the bolt photo i knew what had happened, this actually happens alot on lots of cars, inc front wheel drives

fit new ones with stud lock

davy83

I have same car same age and i noticed these were loose on my car and check them about once a year, the recommended torque for these is quite low if i remember, its not a great design. can see a lot of vibration i think.

conaero

Forum Owner
Change the bolts on both sides, if one side has fatigued and failed the other side wont be far behind.

Glad it was a simple remedy.