Fresh buy - 1998 Ghibli form Japan

gras

It is a GT, you can see it because it doesnt have the fake fuel opening on the left side. Most Ghiblis sold in japan seems to have this 16" wheels.

ZAM400209

Hey- good purchase!

Your biggest threat to ground clearance is the centre section of the exhaust. The rear joint at the cat is the lowest point in the system and is the most hassle I've had with the car in over a decade of ownership.
Even hours of main dealer time (back in the day, when they still saw Ghiblis) went no-where.

If you can find a good place that fettles exhausts, you have a good chance of improving ground clearance...

JimP

Swistak

I still can't wait to have my Ghibli "at home". It is scheduled to be shipped at Bremerhaven just before the christmas :). In the meantime different ideas are crossing my mind. Lately I found an advert of a 3200GTA crashed in the accident. It is relatively chip and most of the mechanical parts seem to be ok. It wouldn't be reasonable to bring this Maser back to life but I was wondering if I could use some of its parts to improve/upgrade the Ghibli and sell the rest in separate parts. Which parts could be used as an improvement for Ghibli - engine, turbos, brakes, wheels, anything else if any?

Swistak

I new it was not a good idea but I'm just freaking out waiting to see the car I bought :). Unfortunatelly there is not much info on Ghibli II in the net - I feel like I already red all that I could find and that's why I'm coming up with unrealistic ideas. Impatience is my main vice, therefore I'm trying to look at my present situation as an opportunity to work on it :)

chad5k1

I still can't wait to have my Ghibli "at home". It is scheduled to be shipped at Bremerhaven just before the christmas :). In the meantime different ideas are crossing my mind. Lately I found an advert of a 3200GTA crashed in the accident. It is relatively chip and most of the mechanical parts seem to be ok. It wouldn't be reasonable to bring this Maser back to life but I was wondering if I could use some of its parts to improve/upgrade the Ghibli and sell the rest in separate parts. Which parts could be used as an improvement for Ghibli - engine, turbos, brakes, wheels, anything else if any?

Potential parts that could fit are wheels, turbo's - small amount of work, intercoolers - small amount of work.
I think that is about it.

Swistak

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a big day for me. A little later than I was hoping but, if there will be no complications I should see my Ghibli for the first time! I'll try to make some pictures to share with you. Any suggestions what maintenance should I do with the car (apart from obvious fluid change)?

Swistak

First picture taken at home.
IMG_0940.jpg
It is a sad view because the car is totally covered with salt and dirt. I need to clean that mess asap and then take car of the mechanics. The car must have been standing for quiet a long time. The brakes are not working properly and when in reverse are giving loud noise. Already changed the battery and every thing seems to work fine (even fuel cap and boot opening). The engine runs rather smoothly but i can hear some belts squeaking. Another thing I spotted is that the central part of the exhaust must have been hit.
I'll try to post some pictures (better quality) after I wash her.

StuartW

Good to get her home & after a wash and some fettling, I'm sure you'll feel much better - good luck

Wally

Do NOT drive it as long as the cambelt has not been checked and changed. This is of the utmost importance, especially since the cambelt-tensioner fitted to the ABS-version is not exactly upto its task. In the later versions Maserati re-introduced the hydraulic tensioner for a reason.
Beautiful model still. It took me some time to appreciate it (happens to me more often) but now I im very fond of it. Take good care of your car! There are not many good Ghiblis around any more.

Ewan

I visited Emblem this morning to be confronted with a LHD Ghibli, just arrived from Japan this week. I met the new owner and started chatting about this thread as I thought that it was this car. Turns out it's not - so that's two Ghiblis in from Japan this week, not something that happens every week!

Anyway, the car looked good and healthy with no rust, so the new owner has hopefully bought a good one. It's an early GT with the 2.8 engine, in very dark green (possibly "Tundra" green). It's his first adventure into Maserati ownership, so fingers crossed. I mentioned the forum so hopefully he'll soon be joining in.

StuartW

Good to see, they are certainly becoming rare here so good to see some new blood arriving

Richard

Hi Swistak. Did you buy your ghibli from a Japan auction dealer? If so which one did you use. Many thanks Richard

Swistak

Hi Richard. I used getcarsjapanauction.com. I was using their services before and there were never any problems. However this time I need to wait and see what my mechanic will say about the condition of the vehicle. It looks ok, no rust and only the driver's seat is a little bit tired and the leather doesn't look to good. However there is something wrong with the gearbox (I can't shift from 1st to 2nd gear after I give it a little go in the 1st gear). There is also something wrong with the steering rack - when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and go in reverse the ride is not smooth and whole the car is bouncing. The two things above where not mentioned in the auction sheet and I was not aware of it prior to my purchase. Hope its not anything catastrophic - you wanted an Italian car - there you go Świstak :).