Ghibli 2.8L ABS engine warning light pops on

Dutch_Cerbera

I already started (in the newbies part) about the niggles with my recently bought Ghibli 2.8L ABS but I guess the technical part of the forum is right place for niggles.

My engine warning light comes on, so I checked on my Lambda sensors. They looked fine, so I decided I better use my multimeter and disconnect the battery.
The lambda sensor on the left side, seems to be working fine. The one on the right side I could not check with my multimeter, not enough space in the socket (the multimeter has those barriers on the lead cables...).
This also means that the sensors are not the same, or at least the connection to the sockets are different.

So well, as I am used to TVRs (they fix themselves so now and than) I decided to reconnect all again.
I turned the ignition key and engine warning light pops on, waiting a couple of seconds and off. Switch on the engine and after something like 10 seconds engine warning light pops on :(
I switched the engine off and checked the same but without starting the engine. But also in that case, the engine warning light pops back on (without starting the engine).

I would actually think that this issue is very likely not a lambda sensor issue, because the exhaust fumes were still cold and even the engine was switched off and sure cold. Or am I wrong?

Hopefully there is someone here who can guide me in the right direction.

Thank you

Dutch_Cerbera

I think you'd need to plug in a diagnostic machine :(

C

If I remember correctly, those machines only exist for later Ghibli's, mine is a 1995.
But if they do exist, do you know which one I need and any idea where to buy it?

The other thing is... the Ghibli is not registered yet, so I am actually not able to drive her yet, some things need to be solved first... new exhaust etc...

Thank you

CatmanV2

If I remember correctly, those machines only exist for later Ghibli's, mine is a 1995.
But if they do exist, do you know which one I need and any idea where to buy it?

The other thing is... the Ghibli is not registered yet, so I am actually not able to drive her yet, some things need to be solved first... new exhaust etc...

Thank you

Oh dear. I am sorry, I thought yours was later :( No, I have no idea, I'm afraid.

C

Wally

The diagnostic reader (for example the AG25640) works for early and late Ghiblis (BiTurbo anyway) Oh... and the lambdasensors are identical

Dutch_Cerbera

The diagnostic reader (for example the AG25640) works for early and late Ghiblis (BiTurbo anyway) Oh... and the lambdasensors are identical

The sensors look identical, but most of them look the same... for me.
There is a difference in how the wires connect to the sockets, so they are not 100% the same.
Both have 3 wires, so it might be the case that they have a heating element. A shortcut or an open circuit in that heating element might make the engine warning light pop up so early (without starting the engine)... but otherwise I would guess that the exhaust fumes have to be at least warm before a Lambda fault would be recognized.

Thank you for your thoughts :)

Dutch_Cerbera

Oh so they do exist, that is very good to hear.
The Maserati Garage who did the purchase check told me that they would actually recommend me to drive so that the engine get hot, so that it kind of burn the sensors clean. According to them if could/would not really hurt the car.
After the engine is really on temperature if would even be a good idea to take the battery off and to look at the sensors again.
A friend will try to get Garage-License plates so that it will be possible to go on the road, might even be an idea to drive the engine warm and go to Maserati Garage if they have that diagnostic machine.

Thank you

Dutch_Cerbera

Sorry guys, but my mistake.
I just found the Diagnostic Machine info in the Quattroporte IV workshop manual.

Attached for others or future reference the 2 pages.

Thank you for your help and time

1.jpg

2.jpg

aaw

And for sure it will be the cheapest solution, if it works :)

And most fun! Have you done a polution test, it should give a good indication if the lambdas are gone. Otherwise I would start with the air temp sensor and the water temp sensors and check them with a multimeter as they are much cheaper than the lambda sensor and easier to change. I had same problem with my QP IV 3.2 and started with the lambdas and it turned out to be the last sensors I changed, the air temp. The water and air temp sensors for the QP was about 20-30 Euro each while the lambda was about 80-90 each. The water temp sensor is a Fiat sensor while the air temp is a Ford equivalent.

ZAM400209

That tester doesn't tell you much

I think you may need the full size SD 2 system which plugs in inline with the engine looms behind the glovebox

Problem is- this generation of engine management: Weber / Marelli IAW, doesn't have data-logging. So when you restart the car- it has forgotten what the problem was. You need to have the issue whilst on the rig

However- aaw, is on the right track I think...

Dutch_Cerbera

Well, the problem turns out te be that one ECU is not receiving the signal from its knock sensor. So engine does fire up, but not that smooth as it should.
Currently waiting for my delivery of the needed parts...