Cambelt tensioner 3200GT

PeteNZ

Hi All, it's been a while since I've been back on the forum but then the car has been running well! However, it's time to replace the cambelt and we've stripped the front out but we're wondering do people replace the cambelt tensioner? There's no sign of leakage but the car has done 55,000 miles and my mechanic thinks it might be worth replacing but I guess if this is a part that ususally lasts with no probems then maybe I should leave it? I see a replacment is available from Eurospares for 101 pounds but he thinks they look very similar to a similar Mitsubishi part here in New Zealand but ascertaiing it's the same might be time-consuming. Anway, anyone else's experience in this area would be appreciated.

Regards Peter
Christchurch, NZ

allandwf

I changed mine as matter of course when in there, it's only 100. I did have a nut coming loose on mine.
PS. Love the avatar picture. I had one just like that white with blue interior.

PeteNZ

Yes, I tend to agree. However, this may be of interest. I have just discovered it is indeed a Mitsubishi part from the Nineties 3000GT (also turboed) so I may be able to get the part here in NZ. There are a couple of EBay options as well. Thanks Peter

davy83

I agree, i replaced both the tensioner and the idler pulleys and cast supports, its worth the extra effort. i would also consider at that mileage doing the water pump? anyone else got an opinion on the water pump? i have heard of these failing from 60k upwards so you are heading into the twilight zone!

allandwf

My water pump was also changed as it was found to be starting to stick. Again not a massively expensive part to change while in there.

Trev Latter

Without checking paperwork, I'm fairly sure mine was done with the belt change just before I bought mine (at 56k miles). Our other cars that have the cam belts running the waterpump usually have the pump changed at the same time as a precaution, but their belt change intervals are at longer/higher mileage. At the very least, it'd need a very thorough inspection, but if it's still the original pump, it may be worth changing it for peace of mind.

I haven't checked, but what does the service manual recommend?

chippiepilot

with items like the idler support would it be worth getting these produced at a local engineering firm if the quality of the original is that bad?

jluis

I changed my tensioner, pulley and water pump.
The tensioner was leaking in my case but I would have changed it nevertheless.

Heard to many stories of heads destroyed due to slack caused by worn tensioner to gamble on that

ZAM400209

Do the idler supports really shear off?! Is that a separate part without too much trouble??

I'm worrying about my Ghibli block now-

PeteNZ

Hi Guys
I replaced my tensioner when doing the cambelt but the part is actually a Mitsubishi item originally off the 3.0 V6 turbo/non-turbo engine of that era (~1990s). It was quite cheap purchased from the States but you'll probably find it locally OK. An OEM supplier will provide it considerably cheaper than from Eurospares. A link if you want to take a look

Cheers Peter

jluis

Hi Guys
I replaced my tensioner when doing the cambelt but the part is actually a Mitsubishi item originally off the 3.0 V6 turbo/non-turbo engine of that era (~1990s). It was quite cheap purchased from the States but you'll probably find it locally OK. An OEM supplier will provide it considerably cheaper than from Eurospares. A link if you want to take a look

Cheers Peter

I had previously seen that the part dimensions are the same but didn't know if the hydraulic pressure would be the same and did not want to be the beta tester of such potentially expensive experiment :)
Did you install the Mitsubishi tensioner on your 3200?

PeteNZ

I had previously seen that the part dimensions are the same but didn't know if the hydraulic pressure would be the same and did not want to be the beta tester of such potentially expensive experiment :)
Did you install the Mitsubishi tensioner on your 3200?

Yes, its been installed but only recently but has tensioned up fine. When you take the old one off the car you'll see it has exactly the same part number stamped (040) on the side as shown for the Mitsubishi part shown on Ebay. Maserati has borrowed a lot of bits from other cars and manufacturers over the years and the 3200 is no different. Tensioning a belt on the turbo 3.0 Mitisi engine will have to be similarly good. As long as its an OEM part you should be fine, the only difference will be the extra 60 pounds you paid for the box it came in! By all means, if you have any doubt stick with Eurospares.