Mirror dip function in reverse gear

BL330

Hi all, I drove a friend's GS recently and noticed the passenger side mirror dipped when in reverse gear.
Mine does not do this but it is a feature I appreciated in my previous ride a BMW.
Was this feature available with earlier GS such as my 2005?
If so, how do I turn it on?
Or was it only with the later LE?

safrane

Just needs to be set.

with ignition on but not started put car into reverse gear.

Adjust mirrors to where you want them.

Press and hold M on the electric seat memory until it beeps

Ian3200

You may know this, apologies if you do, but for it to work on the BMW, the mirror adjuster switch has to be set to the driver's side for the mirror to dip, if set to the passenger mirror, the drivers mirror will not dip.
Maybe the same on the GS? just a thought...

BL330

Thanks Ian I'll see tomorrow if the position of the switch turns this on.

zagatoes30

Works on my early Spyder so its not something new but my car does have memory seats is it linked to that?

c4sman

On most cars this only works if you have memory seats. Sounds as if you do not.

CatmanV2

Position of the switch makes no difference. Looks like you need the memory seats. And both mirrors will adjust as well. :)

C

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Mine has it but it doesn't work properly! The mirror moves slightly but doesn't dip as it should. Equally it's one of those things that's bound to be expensive to fix and I can live without. I just always park within walking distance of the kerb but no closer.

CatmanV2

Mine has it but it doesn't work properly! The mirror moves slightly but doesn't dip as it should. Equally it's one of those things that's bound to be expensive to fix and I can live without. I just always park within walking distance of the kerb but no closer.

Do you not actually have to *set* the position it goes to? With the 4200 it need to be told where there mirrors should be for the reverse mode. Sounds to me like yours are just set to have a very slight drop.

My driver's side, for example, only drops a little bit while the passenger side drops quite a lot more so I can see the kerb that I'm scuffing the wheels on.

Make sense?

C

Contigo

Sponsor

This setting can de-activate itself if you are not in memory mode (1-2-3 modes on the seat).

To activate it just put your foot on the brake, put the car in reverse gear. Whilst in reverse gear, manually tilt the passenger side mirror down all the way with the mirror 'mini joystick' control on your door panel.

Now, when you put the car into neutral, drive or park, the mirror should tilt back to its normal position. When you put the car in reverse the mirror should tilt down.

Once you have set all positions of seat, steering wheel adjust and mirror save that in one of the memory postions.

Try it and let me know.

StuartW

This setting can de-activate itself if you are not in memory mode (1-2-3 modes on the seat).

To activate it just put your foot on the brake, put the car in reverse gear. Whilst in reverse gear, manually tilt the passenger side mirror down all the way with the mirror 'mini joystick' control on your door panel.

Now, when you put the car into neutral, drive or park, the mirror should tilt back to its normal position. When you put the car in reverse the mirror should tilt down.

Once you have set all positions of seat, steering wheel adjust and mirror save that in one of the memory postions.

Try it and let me know.

Yes, that's how I set mine on the GTS with the memory function, part of the optional comfort pack

Aredes

Actually have a problem with this function on the passenger mirror ever since I bought the car.
I can set the mirror position just fine in reverse. The problem is when I switch back to 1st. The mirror goes crazy and moves to a totally different position(ends up pointing straight up or to one side). Is there a mirror ECU or something like that?

For my QP there is a procedure in the handbook, detailing the faff on and includes different seat positions depending on what number memory you press

CatmanV2

Actually have a problem with this function on the passenger mirror ever since I bought the car.
I can set the mirror position just fine in reverse. The problem is when I switch back to 1st. The mirror goes crazy and moves to a totally different position(ends up pointing straight up or to one side). Is there a mirror ECU or something like that?

Have you done:
1) Set mirror positions in 1st
2) Select Reverse
3) Set mirror positions in reverse
4) Enter the new positions into memory (press and hold M and your preferred position button) until you get the beeps

Make sense?

C