Seat memory and how to do a battery reset

murph7355

Following on from my new car post, a couple of quick questions on the seat tricks I've found before I contact the dealer tomorrow...

loz said:
Reset Seat Memory

• Adjust the seat to the disired position.
  • Turn on ignition but do not start the engine.
  • Tilt the seat forward.
  • With the seat still tilted forward, adjust the seat base as far forward as it will go.
  • Tilt the seat back.
  • The seat will then return to the desired position.
  • This reteaches the maximum movement of the seat too the memory.
  • This generally occurs when on eof two things has happened. 1) the seat has been left in the tilt forward position for too long, or 2) the seat was in the tilt forward position when the ignition position was changed, either turned on or off.
Tried this and the seat fails to return to its original position...

loz said:
Seat tilt memory Reset

• Open the driver's side door and QUICKLY (must all be completed within 5 seconds) click the fore/aft adjuster forward-backward-forward-backward (just click - you don't need to move the seat much at all), then release the seat back and tilt it all the way forward. The seat will then go through a calibration cycle sliding all the way forward and back twice.
Tried this too and nothing. Seat doesn't do it's calibration cycle...I *think* I'm doing everything within 5 seconds.

dickygrace said:
Unplug and replug the connectors under the seat. There are two, the ones that makes the beeps means it's reset. That should do it.
This wasn't specifically GT seats....and I can't find any way of finding the seat connectors on mine :) I can feel a couple of cables from the rear but no connectors. The front has a plastic shroud on it that doesn't pull away easily so I left it.

dickygrace said:
Maserati say to 'wiggle' the base button 14-16 times until it ceases to operate. Then your seat is reset and the easy entry system should function.
Not sure whether this was tongue in cheek as this one isn't in the manual :) I gave it a go but the switch didn't stop working (thankfully).

I'm wondering if a "battery reset" might be worth trying? Is there a button to do this somewhere, or is it just a case of disconnecting one of the battery terminals for 20mins? What else would need recalibrating if I did this? Am scouring the manual but haven't found info on this.

(The simplest answer is just to take the car back in to be sorted of course! I'm suspecting a switch/sensor may have failed).

spkennyuk

The 4200 and GS both have a thumb wheel on the battery to isolate it and do the battery reset. I cant say on your model if it has this or not but im sure somebody will be along has the same model as you.

The memory buttons you can only set and store to memory if the ignition is in the MAR position on the 4200 and GS models you then get a beep to confirm it has saved and when you turn the ignition on then the memory buttons just act to recall any settings you have stored.

My 4200 has just suffered the same problem your describing and has been diagnosed as a seat control unit failure. I could get mine working again for a short while by doing the battery reset but that stopped working in the end too.

murph7355

Thanks.

No thumbwheel I can find so I suspect it'll be a lead I need to remove.

I think the seat controls are likely to be the same/similar between the 4200/GS and the GT as the manual states the same things for sorting them (all tried).

I'll drop the dealer a line. It's nothing that needs fixing immediately :)

StuartW

Yes, before getting yourself too involved in a repair - I would have the supplying garage sort it out for you to save you the grief