Battery charging idiots guide

Ryandoc

Folks,

She's been sat 4 weeks, started her up yesterday and got the park off warning. Luckily after a 10 minute idle then switch off/on again it cleared and I took her for a decent run however I'm fully aware it takes a lot longer run than that to put any decent charge in. I've also parked her back up with the EPB off.

So, first off which CTek is best, is it the MXS 5.0 below?

Secondly can someone post a complete idiots guide please, where to connect, does anything need left open, boot etc and does this mean you can't lock the car? Etc etc.

Thanks in advance

conaero

Forum Owner
Ryan, yes that CTEK is what you need.

Battery in a GT is under the boot floor.

The cable is in 2 bits with a quick release multi plug to disconnect the charger leaving the battery connector attached.

The battery connector is not long so I suggest you drill a small hole in the battery carpet cover above the battery, and put a grommet in the hole and thread the cable through it. That way you don't need to keep removing the boot floor/battery cover every time.

If you can get a longer cable, do that or cut off the crocodile clips and extend the wires and put spade/ring connector and permanently attach them to the battery. Then you can route the cable out the side of the boot floor and you don't need to drill and grommet.

Last edited:

Ryandoc

Brilliant thanks for that, I'll get that charger ordered up

When you say route the cables out the side of the boot floor can you elaborate on that for me, where do the cables pop out? Do they just dangle underneath the car? I assume in this way the boot stays securely shut so you can alarm the car but any other way would mean leaving the boot open and then you couldn't lock the car?

Don't suppose there's any pics of the set up kicking around ?

conaero

Forum Owner
No the boot floor is the removable carpeted panel in the trunk. If you just leave the cable hanging out the side you can completely remove the charger but separating the multiplug.

From memory the battery is under the half panel nearest the rear seats side of the trunk.

Doohickey

Velociraptor
There should be a cover with a couple of screws between the well for the tyre gunk and the back seats. The battery and fuse box are underneath that. I tend to just unscrew the cover and connect the crocodile clips direct to the battery terminals. Then when I disconnect it, I just tighten them again by hand.

It's a bit of a faff when you are going out so Matt's suggestion is a tidier and quicker solution once you've done the work.

Ryandoc

Ah ok I get where you's are coming from. However does that mean when you have the charger connected that you can't close the boot and lock the car or does the power lead for the charger (assuming you sit it in the boot) go through the boot ok when it's closed ?

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I hold the lead near the lamp cluster and the boot shuts without pinching it. It will trap if the lead is at the bottom. The boot shuts and the car locks fine.

murph7355

Is there any reason why you're not using the 12V socket in the boot?

Easier and less drilling of stuff :)

You can get a charger end for the Ctek with a 12V plug (I have an Accumate, but the same principle).

StuartW

You can get a charger end for the Ctek with a 12V plug (I have an Accumate, but the same principle).

So the CTEK just plugs into the 12v socket without the need for the hook up to the battery terminals?

Doohickey

Velociraptor

I'm probably missing something but are you not using the battery to charge the battery? I've a socket in the garage so it's as easy.

D Walker

I'm probably missing something but are you not using the battery to charge the battery? I've a socket in the garage so it's as easy.

No Dave, you still plug the Ctek in for power, instead of connecting it to the battery you can fit an adaptor on with a 12v socket that goes straight into your socket in boot, it then charges through that route instead,
Clear as mud,
Dave

murph7355

So the CTEK just plugs into the 12v socket without the need for the hook up to the battery terminals?
Yup (assuming it comes with the 12V accessory plug connector). I use Accumates and use them this way.

Nothing wrong with wiring a connector to the battery, but it's more of a faff. And the thought of drilling things on the car makes me shiver :)

Doohickey

Velociraptor
No Dave, you still plug the Ctek in for power, instead of connecting it to the battery you can fit an adaptor on with a 12v socket that goes straight into your socket in boot, it then charges through that route instead,
Clear as mud,
Dave

See I was missing something. I never knew you could do that. I'll have to see if I've got that in the bag.

murph7355

Bingo

Ryandoc