SM or Monti

zagatoes30

Comparable at the time and still so today, nice comparison between the Citroen SM & Alfa Romeo Montreal. On this forum I suspect I know the winner but which do you prefer

SM v Montreal

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
You couldn't pay me to take an SM off your hands but I do like the Montreal.

TridentTested

The SM is more of a Marmite car, the Montreal is classically beautiful.

I don't know if you could say the result is a foregone conclusion on here. There are probably more than Benny who think anything French shouldn't be allowed. Most of us are former, or current, Alfa Romeo owners and doubtless all have a soft spot for the marque.

If I won a competition whereby I had to choose one as my winnings it would be a tough choice. I think the SM would swing it for me because nice as the Montreal looks, it is built on humble 105 Series underpinnings so it's no supercar.

As a previous Citroën owner, and forum member, an SM would also allow me to brag on two forums :)

GeoffCapes

Montreal all day every day for me.

I spoke with the owner of a Montreal last year. He said parts are horrendously expensive. As they're just not available, and he has to get them made.
He rarely drives it purely in case something breaks or he has an accident. Which is a shame really.

Having said that, I did see 3 in convoy on the M26 in November.

Contigo

Sponsor
There was stunner for sale at the Classic NEC show and it failed to even meet reserve.

P5Nij

Both cars are definitely on 'the list' for me although I'd have to go with the SM given a push. As much I love the Montreal, the shortish wheelbase doesn't seem to look rightfrom some angles and they often seem to sit too high as well. Still a gorgeous looking thing though, and I love the interior - when I had my Cooper S restored the chap doing the bodywork had a lime green RHD Monty in for some paintwork so I had a good look at it, it had so much presence and the owner let me sit in it for a while. I certainly came away impressed. That said though, whenever I see an SM in the flesh my heart strings feel a very definite tug, it's the Gerry Anderson 'UFO' looks that do it, they suggest you're looking at something not of this world. Imagine buying one in 1970...!

davy83

I would go with this, the montreal is a better looking car and judging by the resale values more sought after, it certainly is more immediately desirable. I have the feeling the SM might have more character, and as the article says may be a car to love rather than thrash? both interesting cars i would one of each, good thread!

alfatwo

I've owned both over the years.. The Montreal is really a 105 series coupe in a nice suite with a bit more power,where's the SM was totally over the top bonkers and just as quick.

Id'e love another SM,they'd roll along all day at 120+

The Citroen Maserati does it for me.

Dave

zagatoes30

I don't think either are great handling drivers cars, the Montreal V8 wins me over every time I hear one but underneath it is a not very well sorted the 105 although that can be addressed. If you ever go to an AROC main event look out for Charles Lumby and his Monti, MOH reg it is lovley and he will always let you have proper look and start that engine.

But I always get pulled back tot the SM it is so wrong it's right

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate

I don't know if you could say the result is a foregone conclusion on here. There are probably more than Benny who think anything French shouldn't be allowed. Most of us are former, or current, Alfa Romeo owners and doubtless all have a soft spot for the marque.

If I won a competition whereby I had to choose one as my winnings it would be a tough choice. I think the SM would swing it for me because nice as the Montreal looks, it is built on humble 105 Series underpinnings so it's no supercar.

As a previous Citroën owner, and forum member, an SM would also allow me to brag on two forums :)

Whilst the French connection does it no favours, IMO, the Maserati connection obviously does. However, I wasn't basing my opinion on that; I based it on the fact that, to me, it looks pig ugly whether in a photo or in the metal. I think it would probably look better parked on its roof. I'd still go for the Montreal, even if it was made by the French.

alfatwo

I don't think either are great handling drivers cars, the Montreal V8 wins me over every time I hear one but underneath it is a not very well sorted the 105 although that can be addressed. If you ever go to an AROC main event look out for Charles Lumby and his Monti, MOH reg it is lovley and he will always let you have proper look and start that engine.

But I always get pulled back tot the SM it is so wrong it's right

Lock the Hydraulic suspension down on the SM Andy and handling was pretty good for the 1970's!...I'd say better than most 105 series coupe's of the time..

Dave