Thoughts on the Ghibli Diesel - Nearly a year in

MAF260

Certainly easy to use. Can't argue there. Why is DAB so quiet in comparison to FM and other sources? :conf:

It's strange - have you had the software update for the MTC? Do you have either of the speaker upgrades in your car? I have the B&W system (£3,400 extra!!!) and felt it was lacklustre before - a lot better now.

MAF260

Mind they sell the GT in such low volumes it hardly matters.

That said it will be interesting to see what the GranTurismo revamp brings
this year. Ditto next year for the Ghibli/QP.

I was told by a MD that they'll be focusing on the tech for the GT update. It looks like there's enough space in the GT console to fit the MTC that's in the QP and Ghibli - I'm sure easier said than done!

bigbob

I was told by a MD that they'll be focusing on the tech for the GT update. It looks like there's enough space in the GT console to fit the MTC that's in the QP and Ghibli - I'm sure easier said than done!

Gosh I must go and check with mine as there must be more space than I remember!

MAF260

Gosh I must go and check with mine as there must be more space than I remember!

Screen is 8.4" - get your tape measure out! I had a quick glance at the new Stradale in the dealership to check by eye - looks like plenty of space given the GT/S has a screen and loads of buttons below. Not sure how they'd sort the heater controls etc. but I still reckon there's enough space.

Jkulin

I agree with your point about the graphics, but I guess I'm not really bothered as long as it gets me to my destination - it's never failed to find where I need to get to. Music is either DAB (very good) or Spotify via Bluetooth which doesn't display any track info anyway. What I like most is how easy/intuitive it is to use. Compared to anything offered by Maserati before it's light years ahead! I cannot believe they still sell £100k+ GranTurismos with the antiquated system fitted.

Just wondered how you are getting DAB in your car, did it come with it or is it a bolt on?

outrun

Most Ghiblis have it as standard although they did make it an option recently so some newer cars may not have it, Jkulin

Interesting review.

One question - I'd love to have my calipers painted and am also in Gods country. Who did it for you and what was the cost?

For the most part, I agree with your review however I have a petrol Ghibli and so can't comment on the gearbox and mpg issues. I agree with bigbob that the strange occassional electrical anomalies may be battery related, especially as your mpg suggests several short drives as your normal use. I'm with MAF on the infotainment system. It's a vast improvement on anything Maserati have done before and I quite like it. There are some functionality issues that they could address but for the most part, it does everything I want and without issue. The volume change on DAB is not something I experience and I wonder if you're system could use a software update.

Just like most of use here, you own and drive a Maserati. That's something that offers a feeling and soul that you can't easily put your finger on. Sure, there are a few things that can be improved, and many will over the product lifetime but in reality Maserati are very poor paupers when compared to the big German brands and to get it 99% right on their budget is really quite impressive, I think.

I really enjoy mine and would never want to swap it for any other large sports saloon. I may swap for a Stradale though !

MAF260

Yes, standard fit on Ghiblis up to 2015. Apparently It's an option for 2016 cars onward - no idea why - Maserati going backwards!

MAF260

It's to pay for the electric boot that is now standard!

:frusty6: presumably catering for lazy Americans who need a push button for everything in their lives. Apologies to any not-lazy Americans who are offended*

* not really, I couldn't care less!

bigbob

It was more to do with the battery having little to do. As we know with Maseratis', there is always a sufficiency of electrical power to go round.

Bianco

One question - I'd love to have my calipers painted and am also in Gods country. Who did it for you and what was the cost?

Most alloy wheel refurb places do it but I did mine myself. Took a weekend and a lot of patience. Had to get replacement decals in the right size shipped from the states.

Andyk

It's not far off from a year that I've had the Ghibli now so thought I'd share where I'm up to on it:

Problems
Couple of strange gremlins and things that still need sorted:
  • After two days sat on the drive I got the engine management light. Stayed on all day. Went off the following day.
  • Again, 2 days on the drive, dashclocks click erratically on start-up and I get "Power Steering Service Required". Switch off engine and back on and the fault is gone.
    (suspect that both may be battery related - will get them to sort during its first service)
  • The OEM Pirelli Tyres are terrible. They shudder and skip on close to full lock turns when reversing out of the drive etc. Replaced them with Conti Winters and the problem disappeared. Dealer was intrigued by this as he says "they all do it"
  • intermittent trim rattle from near drivers side A pillar. Dealer has had two goes at it and failed to sort.

Criticisms
  • The way the bootlid opens is rubbish (bounces off the stops)
  • The MTC (Maserati Touch Screen Control) system is terrible in comparison to BMW/Audi/Mercedes. It's very basic and low-res. They seriously need to sort this out. Even VW's thirdparty sourced systems are much better.
  • Very noticeable lag when booting it from a junction. Gearbox seems to be the main culprit (no kickdown button under accelerator pedal) as if you stick it in 1st gear its not so much of an issue
  • Bad blind spots. You cant see much behind you.

Things I've done
  • Added 10mm wheelspacers
  • Added Carbon bootspoiler - should really have a spoiler option from factory
  • Carbon wing mirror covers
  • Calipers done in red as per factory option
  • Fitted Noise Booster Pro - Normal now sounds like Sport and Sport sounds like a V8. More info here: https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/s...ive-sound-maserati-ghibli-quattroporte-diesel
  • Got rid of the AWFUL front numberplate carrier - which is about an inch taller than UK plates.

My Verdict
I'm a year into a 3 year deal with this and I'm enjoying it. The attention it gets, the styling, the sporty drive all add up to a nice experience. It is the only diesel in it's class to get a limited slip diff and that definitely shows when throwing a car this size round corners. I wouldn't recommend the diesel though. Especially if you're doing low miles. I'm only getting 23.5mpg (I got 15-17 in my M3). Its fast enough when it gets going but there's a very tangible pause before it does.

The one thing that I can't quite shake about this car, badge & styling aside, is that it should be a bit better. The MTC especially. It's functional enough but it's pretty shite to look at and lacks an awful lot of features that BMW & Audi owners have taken for granted for the last 10 years. One things for sure, its certainly much more exciting to be seen in than a 535d...

Here's some piccies:

View attachment 34068 View attachment 34069

What a great write up for anyone who is looking at buying one.....good and bad points....Must say you car looks stunning in the pictures and loving the boot spoiler.

Bianco

Booked both my own and my wiifes car in for their first services:

Mine - Parks Maserati: Inspection & an oil change: Quote £545 - discounted to £445.
Wife - Parks Nissan: Inspection & an oil change: Quote £180 - discounted to £135.

Maserati are having a laugh. If they want to get into the volume market they should adopt a two tier labour rate. The Ghibli is a 5 series competitor, not a Bentley rival.

Rwc13

I have to say, I don't see my Ghibli as a direct competitor to a BMW5 series, Merc E or A6. And I suspect kids don't go "wow" when they go past. So it's worth paying a bit more for that wow factor in my opinion. It is a Maserati after all.....

Bianco

I have to say, I don't see my Ghibli as a direct competitor to a BMW5 series, Merc E or A6. And I suspect kids don't go "wow" when they go past. So it's worth paying a bit more for that wow factor in my opinion. It is a Maserati after all.....

That's because you have an S. I have a diesel. I paid far higher servicing costs on my M3 than a boggo 3 series, Currently I'm in a fairly simple diesel that's priced to go head to head with the previously mentioned cars but I'm paying Gran Turismo labour rates.