Our sun hurts a GS

BL330

I visited my local motor trimmer today and was surprised to see a black GS in for repairs.
As this is one of only 3 GS in the city that I know of, it was a surprise.
The poor owner recently broke his leg and had to park his GS outside for 2 months or so.
The black interior in a black car really took a hammering in the Aussie sun.
So much so that the leather roof lining shrank and partially fell down and the rear parcel shelf warped.
So be warned don't leave your GS outside like that.

Andyk

That's not good.....So after only 2 months outside that happened...Surely that shouldn't...Cars are tested to the limit aren't they...hot and cold....

Wack61

Just imagine the temperatures reached inside the car when the outside is that hot, leather still has natural oils in it which dry out leading to cracking, glue gives up when exposed to heat.

I'll make a mental note to bear it in mind when the British summer gets here :D

allandwf

Well I'll be ok! ;) Seriously though that's terrible probably made worse by the fact that it is black.

Mr.Cambio

I some how doubt that we get sun hot enough of for long enough to do that here

with you here Andy. My saab with leather seats spent 10 years everyday out, with temperatures sometimes above 40 degrees in the summer. They looked like new till the time i sold it.
There must have been another reason for the GS to be like that.

There was a case not long ago of a Jag(I think) in London that sat at the focal point of a tall building glass structure and the sun struck the glass and reflected to the focal point and melted the interior dash of the Jag

On a personal note I was not long married and had a fairly large shaving mirror that focused sun light on our new curtains.
They were in flames after a short period, so it can happen in UK

safrane

Rear shelf is synthetic so it would react to excessive heat...roof lining is leather on the full leather versions or if specked as an option...I suspect the plastic clips on the headline gave up.