ChipsAway - Any Opinions?

StuartW

I have a pretty nasty stone chip right in the centre of my bonnet which has gone down to the metal but not dented it fortunately.
I was thinking of trying ChipsAway so wondered what the general consensus of them is, or is it down to each one being different as they are a franchise operation?

Thanks all

CatmanV2

They are franchise. The guy we use actually went out on his own as he got ****** off with them, but his work is excellent.

C

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Certainly the guy round here is pretty good. Had one bit of work that wasn't quite a match ( he did it in terrible weather) but he came back and sorted it no quibbles.

hoyin

My guy was ok. Did a good job. But missed a bit on the door edge and never came back to fix it.

It all depends on the guy as it is a franchise.

StuartW

OK, thanks guys - I'll see what my local guy is like and report back. If he's good, there's a bit of work that all 3 of my cars need.
Cheers

MAF260

Get a recommendation from somebody as many of these operators are franchisees - some have only basic training and I've heard some horror stories. I use a local guy recommended to me by a mate who's a car dealer. I've used him a few times (Ghibli recently after it was scraped whilst parked) and his work is so good you cannot see any evidence of repair. He's also extremely reasonably priced, typically £60-£80 per repair. The difference is he's worked in the car repair industry for over 20 years, so really knows his craft.

StuartW

Get a recommendation from somebody as many of these operators are franchisees - some have only basic training and I've heard some horror stories. I use a local guy recommended to me by a mate who's a car dealer. I've used him a few times (Ghibli recently after it was scraped whilst parked) and his work is so good you cannot see any evidence of repair. He's also extremely reasonably priced, typically £60-£80 per repair. The difference is he's worked in the car repair industry for over 20 years, so really knows his craft.

Cheers Mark, will do

Hexadex

Had the road rash done on my DB9 by Rob at chips away Mansfield, couldn't tell where he'd done it. He made a marvellous job.

Scaf

Maf
Can I have the details of you chap please as I have some work for him
Sam

StuartW

Maf
Can I have the details of you chap please as I have some work for him
Sam

And me too please Mark, if he's good enough for your high standards then he'll be worth the trip to your manor for me.
Cheers

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member

Had the road rash done on my DB9 by Rob at chips away Mansfield, couldn't tell where he'd done it. He made a marvellous job.

Interesting... so can a good chip-chap repair road-rash? The front of mine looks like it's been shotgunned.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks C. I'm guessing that I'd be down for less than the £300 I was quoted for a bumper-off respray. It may not be as good, but it'd be a bloody sight better than I've got now.

Perhaps we should set up camp in a corner of a car-park local to MAF and book his man in for a day.

Scaf

Thanks C. I'm guessing that I'd be down for less than the £300 I was quoted for a bumper-off respray. It may not be as good, but it'd be a bloody sight better than I've got now.

Perhaps we should set up camp in a corner of a car-park local to MAF and book his man in for a day.

Depending where in Herts he is based we could use my place -

StuartW

Sounds like a plan, I'm in

MAF260

I've just checked to see if the guy I use has any premises he can use (his service is mobile) and unfortunately he doesn't. As much as I would be happy to have hordes of Maseratis turning up at my house and using my driveway to have their repairs done, I suspect Mrs MAF would have an opposing view - she's only just about accepting the news that 2 more cars are appearing at home later this month!

If anyone has access to somewhere Gary could perform his magic somewhere around Chorleywood/Rickmansworth/Watford I'm sure I could arrange something.

EDIT - I've just read Scaf's post. I'll check with Gary and see how far he's prepared to travel if we set a day up.

Hexadex

Interesting... so can a good chip-chap repair road-rash? The front of mine looks like it's been shotgunned.
Absolutely ! I had a new bumper which he fitted and sprayed. Also did the bonnet, wings and rear quarters. He works in a couple of units as he has abandoned the mobile aspect.

StuartW

I've just checked to see if the guy I use has any premises he can use (his service is mobile) and unfortunately he doesn't. As much as I would be happy to have hordes of Maseratis turning up at my house and using my driveway to have their repairs done, I suspect Mrs MAF would have an opposing view - she's only just about accepting the news that 2 more cars are appearing at home later this month!

If anyone has access to somewhere Gary could perform his magic somewhere around Chorleywood/Rickmansworth/Watford I'm sure I could arrange something.

EDIT - I've just read Scaf's post. I'll check with Gary and see how far he's prepared to travel if we set a day up.

Did anything come of your conversation with Gary to see if this could be a go-er Mark?
Cheers

Sommi

I am looking at calling them in for a quote - Road rash, chips on bonnet and other places and alloys.
Am I right in thinking that the alloy wheel repair with be merely powder coating rather than the full sand blasting and filling it is properly?