Broken Down

GeoffCapes

There I was taking the dog round the mother in laws all good.
Maser running fine then I change up and the engine makes a noise like when you change up from 2nd to 5th and bogs down.
Then when carrying on round a roundabout onto a dual carriageway it decides to not want to go above 3,000rpm and bogs down completely.

It's making a funny noise out of the exhaust like it's completely out of tune and smells like the cats are not working properly. (A bit eggy).
The exhaust tips on the right hand side have a white ish residue as opposed to the usual carbon black which the right has.

Just called the RAC. Any ideas?

StuartW

The not going above 3000RPM is limp mode to prevent any damage to the engine but it does sound like a cat issue - was there a metal on metal rattle sound at all?

Andyk

Yep, that sounds like emissions....It will shut down and run at limited rev's as it thinks you are polluting the earth....Could be cat or maybe a sensor...

Spartacus

Sounds like one of your cats has tried to escape through the exhaust . Best take them all out

Andyk

Thats it......happened to me in the M3 twice and each time it was the coil pack.....It wasn't a long job as cost about £120 on the M3.....Maserati may be different.

Spartacus

But Isnt there a firing pack for each cylinder ? So that would mean 2 would have to go at once ?

CatmanV2

Glad it's comparatively simple, although I'd be a tiny bit surprised if two failed at the same time. Wait for Feli to take a proper look, but if it is coil packs it's dead simple.

Of course, you may have had one fail*ing* and one just went. Being on the same side that would have been messy indeed.

C