The Low Loader Thread

MrPea

Thanks guys.
No, no vehicle for my own use yet as I have to wait until tomorrow for next steps with the European breakdown assistance. It won't matter for a couple of days as today involves hardly going anywhere and just relaxing at the gîte. Chris has the Boss which is fine for 4 people without luggage, but it won't be fair him having to do all the driving for wine trips, so I hope I get Lottie back quickly.

RSM Masser

Not sure this counts a breakdown

The second picture is a breakdown, sheared driveshaft bolts - I don't have pictures of the two other low loader moments, one was a split water hose on Chiswick roundabout, the other a failed crankshaft sensor, while waiting for an MoT

IMG_4750.jpgIMG_5560.jpg

Needamaser

Thanks guys.
No, no vehicle for my own use yet as I have to wait until tomorrow for next steps with the European breakdown assistance. It won't matter for a couple of days as today involves hardly going anywhere and just relaxing at the gîte. Chris has the Boss which is fine for 4 people without luggage, but it won't be fair him having to do all the driving for wine trips, so I hope I get Lottie back quickly.

Just on a sidenote, presume you are aware of the filter in the sump which needs to be cleaned at about 80k at the latest?
It carbons up and restricts oil flow which increases pressure, which can cause head gasket to weep and then quickly followed by oil starvation to the turbo which goes bang.
Only when it happened to me did all the old Saab owners start telling me it was commonplace! In fact if filter isn't cleaned it is guaranteed!

MrPea

Just on a sidenote, presume you are aware of the filter in the sump which needs to be cleaned at about 80k at the latest?
It carbons up and restricts oil flow which increases pressure, which can cause head gasket to weep and then quickly followed by oil starvation to the turbo which goes bang.
Only when it happened to me did all the old Saab owners start telling me it was commonplace! In fact if filter isn't cleaned it is guaranteed!
Aha, thanks for the heads up, and I am aware of this. I now have a slightly larger gauge filter to avoid this in future. The turbo blew because it's only really designed to run at about 130bhp (and stock it'll run at 150 or 185 depending on variant) but I'm running at around 240. It did well given that it lasted 30k at that pressure! I now have a slightly doctored garrett that's larger, but spools up as smoothly and quickly as the old low pressure one so there's very little turbo lag. It gives silly torque though... I can get wheel spin at 4k revs in 3rd!

Needamaser

Aha, thanks for the heads up, and I am aware of this. I now have a slightly larger gauge filter to avoid this in future. The turbo blew because it's only really designed to run at about 130bhp (and stock it'll run at 150 or 185 depending on variant) but I'm running at around 240. It did well given that it lasted 30k at that pressure! I now have a slightly doctored garrett that's larger, but spools up as smoothly and quickly as the old low pressure one so there's very little turbo lag. It gives silly torque though... I can get wheel spin at 4k revs in 3rd!

Sorry to all for thread drift!
My Aero cabriolet was 204bhp from memory. Is it a different turbo on the Aero? I was under the impression it was just the turbo which increased it from 185 to 204? Torque steer was interesting at 204. Would have thought it was attention seeking at 240!

2b1ask1

Special case
I've still not actually been contacted by the police so I have no more information. They did get one of the gang at least when they captured the Mito so hopefully this will unravel the rest of them.

D Walker

Sorry folks, as a. Ex squadie, boils my **** not to take direct action to ***** who get away with it all their lives!

spkennyuk

I've still not actually been contacted by the police so I have no more information. They did get one of the gang at least when they captured the Mito so hopefully this will unravel the rest of them.

They may not get in touch with you newton as the car and contents now belong to the insurance company. Its worth a phone call to hancox to let them know you may be interested in a buy back.