Another Intro

Ian996

Hi, another forum newby here and, hopefully, a fairly imminent Granturismo owner.

While I'm new to Maserati ownership, I'm a long-term admirer of things Italian and automotive, having been seduced by desmodromic valve-trains and Guigiaro GTV's (& 105 GTAs) as an impressionable sprog in the 1970's (which will give some clue about how long it has taken me to move from the "affordable exotica" of various Busso-engined Alfas to the more rarified stuff). At last count, three V6 164 (12 valve Lusso, 24 valve Super & 24 Valve Cloverleaf) and a GTV V6 (as opposed to a GTV6) have been and gone, while a 2002 156 GTA will be sharing drive-space with the Granturismo, and a 996r and a Hypermotard lurk in the garage.

Over the years, I occasionally toyed with the idea of a bargain-priced BiTurbo , a Shamal or a 4200 to scratch the Trident itch, but it was the last generation Quattroporte that genuinely started me thinking of transferring at least some of my allegiance from Arese and Bologna to Modena. I can't actually remember whether I saw a Granturismo first or heard it (whichever way round it was, the one followed the other in very quick succession), but my internal response was pretty much "****-me, one way or the other, I've got to have one of those things".

Well, finally I'm in a position to go ahead, although there has been a bit of budget-creep... I started off looking for an early model 4.2...raised my budget to a 2012(ish) 4.7 when I heard about the variator issue and, somehow, ended up sticking a deposit down on a cancelled factory order GT Sport MC Auto. The cancelled order was due mid-May, but Maserati took it out of the queue so I could re-spec it to my preference, and it's now due in mid-July. May has already been my personal longest-month on record, and I have a feeling that June is going to take even longer.

Anyway, I might as well start as I mean to go on and fire off the first stupid question...

Has anyone on the forum taken the opportunity to collect their new Granturismo from the factory? I'm interested in this option, but don't want to put the dealer on the spot if it is a pain in the rear for them to organise, or if the factory frowns on the process, or if there is not enough time, or it's too close to the August shut-down etc,etc. If anyone has any insight into the procedure I'd be really grateful for any info. In return, I will, of course, post pics of the new arrival when it (finally) arrives.

Many thanks, Ian

safrane

Welcome to the forum. What a great position to be in.

I know of a few who have and its not too hard to organise...and to be honest you are saving them the bither of transport to the UK...And what a way to bond on the way home.

Ian996

Welcome to the forum. What a great position to be in.

I know of a few who have and its not too hard to organise...and to be honest you are saving them the bither of transport to the UK...And what a way to bond on the way home.

Many thanks! Yes, I'm feeling pretty happy with the prospect. My sister-in-law lives near Viareggio, which isn't a million miles away from Modena (and she is possibly even more excited about the arrival of the Granturismo than I am), so it would be nice to pay a visit and, as you say, bond with the car on the journey home. I guess the sensible thing to do is speak to the dealer and see what they say.

zagatoes30

Excellent, I think if I was getting a new Maser I would try and collect from the factory it would just add to the occasion.

Welcome I am sure you will enjoy your Maser experience but as you say the next month or so is going to go so slowly

MrPea

Ian, you're one lucky man!

Go for the factory option, and then drive back to see us all! Congratulations in advance, and a new car, particularly from Maserati is a special thing!

Ewan

Definitely arrange a factory collection and personal tour. There is a separate handover area, where they'll have your car all ready and under a cover, waiting for the "big reveal". This would certainly be the best way to start your Maserati experience.

Ian996

Thanks to all for the welcomes - looks like the consensus is that the factory collection is worth the effort, so I'll contact the dealer and see what they say.

and a new car, particularly from Maserati is a special thing!

It will be my first ever new car - always gone down the second-hand route previously. For a more conventional vehicle, it would seem a strange choice, with the car nearing the end of it's production life-cycle, but that's part of the appeal - I think it's an "end of an era" car. I want a nice hairy-chested, cross-plane-crank, naturally-aspirated V8 in a timelessly beautiful body and, for me, the Granturismo is a one-off that is a lot more then the sum of it's individual parts.

bigbob

Thanks to all for the welcomes - looks like the consensus is that the factory collection is worth the effort, so I'll contact the dealer and see what they say.

It will be my first ever new car - always gone down the second-hand route previously. For a more conventional vehicle, it would seem a strange choice, with the car nearing the end of it's production life-cycle, but that's part of the appeal - I think it's an "end of an era" car. I want a nice hairy-chested, cross-plane-crank, naturally-aspirated V8 in a timelessly beautiful body and, for me, the Granturismo is a one-off that is a lot more then the sum of it's individual parts.

Fully understand why you have done it as cars are changing materially. I drive mine in sport manual much of the time knowing that it often pulls slow from low revs but it sounds and feels nice not having a mad turbo engine instead. I had mine delivered on a covered lorry from the dealer and it sat in my garage for a week or so waiting for the plate change but I understand the appeal of flying over for it.

Had they said anything regarding the cessation of production?

StuartW

Welcome along Ian and I have to say, that's the way to do it - would very much like to do the same with a new one, keep us posted!

Ian996

Sadly, I've chickened out of collecting my GT Sport from the factory - Brexit, bird-brained football fans and rock-throwing mobs at Calais have persueded me that it will be better to have the car delivered to the UK. Maybe I'll try to combine a Factory tour with Word Ducati Week next year.

Good news is that I should be able to pick the car up by the end of the month, so 10 weeks down since I put the order in and 4 to go.

MrMickS

Sadly, I've chickened out of collecting my GT Sport from the factory - Brexit, bird-brained football fans and rock-throwing mobs at Calais have persueded me that it will be better to have the car delivered to the UK. Maybe I'll try to combine a Factory tour with Word Ducati Week next year.

Good news is that I should be able to pick the car up by the end of the month, so 10 weeks down since I put the order in and 4 to go.

I'm on my way back from the factory. No issues so far. I'm not going back via Calais though. Zeebrugge for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbob

Don't blame you. It's good to have proof that they still make them as well!

Mine arrived at this time of year also but I waited until 1st September for registration as I spent much of the interim in France and I don't use the Maser as a family holiday car.

Andyk

A big warm welcome to the forum and how exciting....If you want to collect from the factory then do it...I've been there and it will be a great experience and the drive back is what the GT was made for......Easy to set up as well.